• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

questions about gears

rosco

NAXJA Forum User
I am very confused about gear brands. I am told that spicer is the best and to stay away from genuine... but then i hear from the shop that genuine IS spicer and then I did a search on this forum and I found threads that say precision gear & alloy usa are also spicer. What gives??? Can someone please straighten me out on this? I need to know where i can get spicer gears (what website) and what should i expect to pay including install kits?

buy yukon and you don't have that problem. thats whats in my rig and they are an great quality gear. my buddies have had other gears, and to say the least, they didn't hold up. gears are the last place you want to budget on.

call up DC4wd great prices and shipping rates.
540 473 1096

they have great prices. install kits range from 70-150 bucks depending on axle. gears are anywhere from 150 - 300 for one axle (ring and pinion)

there is also
www.randysringandpinion.com

Dana/spicer gears are by far the best. They don't support aftermarket ratios.

I run yukons in my rig. I haven't ever had any problems with them or any of the yukon installs that I have done.

My buddy blew up 2 front ring and pinion sets (yukons) but it was due to front housing being bent and/or flexing.

You can get Dana/Spicer anywhere from a 3.07 all the way to 4.88 ratio for the D30 and the D44, dont know the other alxes for the XJ so much as these two.

Most ALL aftermarket vendors / manufactures have a chinese version of thier better line that they offer. Like Yukon have thier "Value" (chinese) line and then their Premium line (Brazil, india or USA).

If you get Dana/Spicer you will only get the quality version and 99% of the time US made gears.

ROBERTK said:
You can get Dana/Spicer anywhere from a 3.07 all the way to 4.88 ratio for the D30 and the D44, dont know the other alxes for the XJ so much as these two.

Most ALL aftermarket vendors / manufactures have a chinese version of thier better line that they offer. Like Yukon have thier "Value" (chinese) line and then their Premium line (Brazil, india or USA).

If you get Dana/Spicer you will only get the quality version and 99% of the time US made gears.

The D44 & D30 is what I have so where would I get Dana/Spicer 4.88's? Can someone clarify which brands are dana/spicer and which are not? Also, jeepinoutfitters.com has Alloy USA gears. Does anyone know how good these are?

rosco said:
The D44 & D30 is what I have so where would I get Dana/Spicer 4.88's? Can someone clarify which brands are dana/spicer and which are not? Also, jeepinoutfitters.com has Alloy USA gears. Does anyone know how good these are?

I get all my Spicer stuff from Unitrax here in Anaheim Ca. They are a major distribitor of them. You can try calling them 714-630-4327, tell em Robert sent ya. They might even be nice to ya.

Alloy USA are now part of a huge company that sells many other name brands of gears, they used to be very safe to buy from and know that your getting a quality gear set. Now I dont know. If you called and confirmed that the gear set your buying is not a cheap import and they said other wise then it should be safe.

I still would just go either Spicer or Yukon Premium's.

Broke a Precision Ring, but were good to me.
Spicers in now, no problems.
My Buddys from the country with Chevy trucks use and swear by Richmond products. 4.88's 350 39's 10bolts. They must be alriigght.:)

RyanM said:
Broke a Precision Ring, but were good to me.
Spicers in now, no problems.
My Buddys from the country with Chevy trucks use and swear by Richmond products. 4.88's 350 39's 10bolts. They must be alriigght.:)

I believe Precision is now part of Alloy USA as is Motive and one or two more.

I got my D/S 4.56s from 4x4buy.com. They come in a box that says "Dana/Spicer". The cool thing is that they also came with a mini install kit, so I saved that expense, bringing the total to about what some no-name eBay gears would have been. In keeping with the OEM theme, I put Ford Motor Sports 4.56s in the 8.8 (did have to buy the FMS install kit as an extra).

Back