• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question on HEI dizzy gear from AMC 258 to 4.0 block

pityocamptes

NAXJA Forum User
Having a 4.7 stroker built, and I had some questions with regards to getting a new dizzy gear. I currently have the GMC HEI setup on my AMC 258 and would like to use the HEI dizzy on the new stroker. I prefer replacing the old gear. Last time I did the dizzy upgrade I basically swapped the AMC 258 gear onto the GMC HEI dizzy, seems to work.

My concern is with the material that the dizzy gear is made out of, if I get an aftermarket gear. I hear some say that the AMC V8 iron gear will work? Not sure. I know the builder is using a comp cam. Any thoughts or input appreciated. Not too knowledgeable on the 4.0, sorry for the ignorance... :doh:

The cam's are interchangable, so the dizzy parts should be as well.

:edit:

I misread part of that, you're looking for a source on a new gear?

Let me call somebody and get back to this thread later..

Thanks. Have you heard anything with regards to the material being used for aftermarket gears? Some say bronze, others say iron, others say that the hardened aftermarket steel ones will toast the cams...

You're getting into the realm of builder opinion.

Give Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl Racing Engines a call. He's a naxja guy, builds a lot of high performance 4.0's as well as supergas and alcohol v8's, and would have better knowledge for you.

(626) 967-1000

You're getting into the realm of builder opinion.

Give Russ Pottenger at Bishop Buehl Racing Engines a call. He's a naxja guy, builds a lot of high performance 4.0's as well as supergas and alcohol v8's, and would have better knowledge for you.

(626) 967-1000

He's the one building my engine :)

In that case, he and I discussed your engine at length last night. ;)

Barring him, the next best opinion I can think of would come from Jack Clifford at Clifford Performance.

In that case, he and I discussed your engine at length last night. ;)

Barring him, the next best opinion I can think of would come from Jack Clifford at Clifford Performance.

Hey, thats great, thanks! Just trying to get everything covered... currently working on getting a new clutch assembly as well. Its getting harder to find the older parts on a scout...

Hey, thats great, thanks! Just trying to get everything covered... currently working on getting a new clutch assembly as well. Its getting harder to find the older parts on a scout...

It wouldnt be the worst idea in the world to run an XJ flywheel and AX-15 transmission. You'd have to build up a cross member and run a transfer case from say a Dodge Dakota to get passenger side drop, but it would be more modern and attainable parts.

It wouldnt be the worst idea in the world to run an XJ flywheel and AX-15 transmission. You'd have to build up a cross member and run a transfer case from say a Dodge Dakota to get passenger side drop, but it would be more modern and attainable parts.

True. I guess I'm a purest :wave: the T-18 and Dana 20 with lower gears are not bad... that and the 4.56 in the rear, lockers, etc... so much for being a purest... hahahaha... top speed on freeway about 60... offroad though, ain't bad.

Back