• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Sierra XJers - Slickrock and Corral Hollow

jkmhb

NAXJA Forum User
I'll be in the area very soon and plan to try these two trails. I was wondering if anyone could provide infomation as to difficulty for my XJ.

I have a '99.

The good: with about 4" lift, 31" BFG MTs. Tow hooks, transfer case skid, rock rails, homebrew disconnects, Wrangler brake lines.

Not so good: Open diffs., 3.07 gears w/5-speed.

I have done Bald Mountain (back when it was stock - and under its current configuration), and the moderate parts of Strawberry and Coyote lakes in the Dinkey Creek area. These trails did not seem overly difficult.

A book that I have lists Slickrock slightly more difficult than Bald Mountain.

How would you compare them?

Thanks for your help.
Jerry

Don't know about Bald Mountain, but Slickrock is fairly easy. It would be more difficult running it from highway 4 to Uttica Res. (North to South). The toughest part is a small "waterfall" (for lack of a better term - Oh, and there isn't any water in this "waterfall") that has some large rocks. If you run it starting from the Res., you would be traveling down the "waterfall" which is fairly easy. You'll be fine, and you'll have some fun with your set-up!

I did Corral Hollow a few years back. It is a very easy trail which could probably be done in a stocker in 2wd. It is very pretty and you get some high altitude. At one point you go right near some of the ski runs on Bear Mt. or whatever it is called.

Well - ran both this past weekend.

Corral Hollow was very easy, but also very scenic.

Slickrock was great! Ran it north to south. Went down the long slickrock descent, which was great. I turned around and went back up.
Went up the "waterfall" without too much difficulty.
I would recommend having a good skidplate, as I came down on it fairly hard a couple of times.

Thanks for your input, everyone.

Back