• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Question for Michigan peeps!

frankenstang57

NAXJA Forum User
100_0491.jpg

Just curious, I'm planning on driving my XJ to SE Michigan on vacation this summer. I was wondering if I can expect to be hassled by the local authorities for bumper height or wheels sticking out of the wheel wells? I remember things like this being issues growing up, but it's been 20 years... Can anyone suggest any good places to wheel in the area as well? Thanx!

As a general statement, I believe that if you build your vehicle to comply with your State's vehicular standards, the vehicle is safe, and you comply with local and State traffic laws, you probably won't get hassled.

I believe the long and short of it though, is that you must comply with the vehicular standards of the State you will be operating in. In your case, that means Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, IL, and MI.

I've driven my lifted XJ back to my folks (northeast of Traverse City) quite a few times with no issue. My flares are still in place, though.

Don't be conspicuous, and you probably won't have any problems.

I used to drive all around SE MI with my XJ at about 7" of lift and 35's and never got hassled. And I believe MI does not have any laws regarding the fender covering the tires. Only real place to wheel in SE MI is the Mounds. Its been years since I've been there but its just a big mud hole with some trails in the woods. They've added small rocks in some areas.

http://www.geneseecountyparks.org/mounds.htm

I've driven around lower Mich. without a rear bumper without so much as a look by the cops (and I'm from out of state). You shouldn't have to worry.

if you wanna go a few hours north there is Rocks and Valleys offroad park, Twisted Trails, and of course the sand dunes.

Ive got 6.5" lift with 33x12.5 Swampers on DC-1's with no flares and have never had a problem

Back