• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Quarterly Adopt A Trail Meeting Wed. 8/18

Thanks to everyone that showed up, especially since I was the only one with less than a hour drive.( Yup I stopped for fuel and still got home in 15 min ;) ) lots of good info I look forward to the official recap from Karstic.

Thanks to everyone that showed up, especially since I was the only one with less than a hour drive.( Yup I stopped for fuel and still got home in 15 min ;) ) lots of good info I look forward to the official recap from Karstic.

i was a bit unclear about HOlcomb. They made mention of a meeting in sept but they also said something about a lot of trails now open in the fawnskin area.

Holcome is still closed, Greg set up a meeting between myjeeprocks and the distric ranger to dicuss what's needed to reopen it since other trails are open with simular fire damages. The pacific crest trail is litterally about 100 feet from holcome and open. Greg stated that there are to many people involved in the decision complicating the process and this meeting is basicly a step towards the possible re-opening. Truth is there are a lot of dead burnt trees and bean counters are saying its to high a risk till its cleaned up hece the heli-logging MJR folks were making jokes about since regular logging crews haven't been able to get it done for a lot of reasons.

Holcome is still closed, Greg set up a meeting between myjeeprocks and the distric ranger to dicuss what's needed to reopen it since other trails are open with simular fire damages. The pacific crest trail is litterally about 100 feet from holcome and open. Greg stated that there are to many people involved in the decision complicating the process and this meeting is basicly a step towards the possible re-opening. Truth is there are a lot of dead burnt trees and bean counters are saying its to high a risk till its cleaned up hece the heli-logging MJR folks were making jokes about since regular logging crews haven't been able to get it done for a lot of reasons.

So the Pacific Crest Trail is a jeep trail or a hiking trail?

Thanks to our NAXJA members that attended, Dan, Julio, Max, Cal, Sonia and myself.

There were a lot of things covered, some paperwork that was taken care of, and a few events that are coming up that I will post up details.

This year is the 15th Anniversary of the SBNF Adopt A Trail program. It has grown to over 4000 members. Those volunteers are the reason why there are so many OHV opportunities in the SBNF.

The 2011 Volunteer agreements were signed.

The first exclusively Adopt A Trail Barbeque will be held October 2nd at the Discovery Center. There be trail runs bbq, chili cookoff, salsa contest photo contest and awards.

August 28 is the Sugarloaf clean-up. Theres a thread going on about this.

Jeep is sponsoring a trail cleanup in Big Bear on October 16. More information here http://jeeppatrol.net/

Safety: There has been an increasing in acidents on the Forest trails. Be safe and courteous out there and watch out for the other trail users.

Fire closures:3N34 has opened from Fawnskin over to Big Pine Flat. Holcomb is still closed but there are people (both volunteers and FS personel) that are working hard trying to get it opened.

Back