• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting the Head back on?

I put it on with the black stuff. I think it should do fine. I would wait but i cant i have no time as it is and i dont think that should affect anything.I am wondering however do i have to put rtv or some type of sealant on the rocker arm bolts?

I put it on with the black stuff. I think it should do fine. I would wait but i cant i have no time as it is and i dont think that should affect anything.I am wondering however do i have to put rtv or some type of sealant on the rocker arm bolts?

No. Torque to 19 pound-feet with the valve closed.

Yea i torqued them like you said and put everything backk on and it seems to be running great. I had gotten the head reworked and everything when i pulled it. The only thing is when im driving it now it almost has a tapping noise not loud or anything and only when i get on the gas. Any ideas? Could that be the valves? Since i did a valve job?

Probably made the tapping noise before. Mine does anyway and it's only got 103k on the clock. Just for background, why did you do the head. Although the more I think about it, could it be a slight exhaust leak? That usually happens on acceleration.

Did you perhaps gouge the gasket? Did you forget to tighten down a few bolts? Did you put the donut back on the collector? Collector flange tight? Was there a crack in the manifold before tearing it apart? Where's it coming from?

You have to run your hands down the exhaust feeling for leaks trying not to get burnt. Maybe a stethoscope or a tube to your ear to try to localize the problem. Donut at end of manifold would be first candidate.

I know for a fact that i tightened all the bolts. But what is the donut or collector flange? I did not gouge the gasket it was perfectly fine. I am wondering if it is and exhaust leak that i am hearing because it sounds different when i hit the gas on the road, almost like a ticking noise?

Well, when I look in the 2000 FSM, they don't show a "donut" so maybe that part isn't correct. But there is a spherical (ball) end at the downstream end of the intake manifold where the catalytic converter hooks up. Some other vehicles have donuts there, but either way, this joint could have a problem sealing. The sphere or the mating flange could have been damaged or might just be a little loose. That would be the same as the collector flange.

If the valves are worrying you, just open the hood and gradually raise the rpms. Do this with you under the hood ofcource. If its the valves it would tick or tap all the time.

Back