• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Put in Ford yellow/orange injectors- clips don't fit and they're shifting!

HenryKrinkle

NAXJA Forum User
These yellow-top 19lb Ford injectors don't have the slot for the stock clips that hold them to the fuel rail. I just got them in my '88 4.0L and fired it up. It ran beautifully. I cut it off and noticed that half of them shifted downward into the head. The fuel pressure must have pushed them out of the rail. They are not leaking (yet), but what hell?

How are these such a common swap? Is this supposed to happen? I can almost see where the o-ring starts at the end of the fuel rail fitting. Also, I think the head side might be beyond where the o-ring can make a seal.

HELP!

These are the yellow, stick-type, plastic injectors. Part number:

There were seated nicely and have now shifted down into the head a quarter inch. They rest on the body of the injector and I can almost see where the o-ring sits at the end of the fuel rail fitting.

Do I have the wrong injectors? Is this normal and I should just keep an eye out for leaks?

I didn't use any clips with mine. The fuel rail is bolted to the manifold and it holds them in place without anything else being needed.

Mustang_Injectors.sized.jpg

Thanks for the photo and info. I went back out and looked at them. Yours look the ones on mine that settled into the manifold and are limited by the plastic body. I wiggled mine around and seated them back into the fuel rail. Then a small groove became visible at the base of the injector. The stock clips slide right in there and hold on securely.

So now mine are at rest maybe 1/8" further out than those pictured and are limited by the clip in the groove resting on the head.

I think I'm satisfied with that. I'll do like I normally do after messing with them and check for leaks after every trip for a while - and before starting in the morning.

ETA:
Have you run these yet? Looks like that photo is a disembodied engine. Did you have any leaks on the fuel rail side?

Last edited:
x2, the clips did not work for me, but they are sung in the cylinders and the rail holds them down. No leaks.

Back