• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Push button transmition

JCS JP

NAXJA Forum User
I am watching Desert Car Kings and they have a car that is push button transmition. That was the coolest thing I have ever seen.

You could get them on Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth from 54 to 65.

JIM.

I want my 'transmition' to look like this.
TI_SpeakSpell_no_shadow.jpg

You could get them on Dodge/Chrysler/Plymouth from 54 to 65.

JIM.

I remember them on the valiant's very well...as well as the slant 6.

The '62 Fury Dad had way back when had the push button shift set up on it from the factory. Be kinda neat to see that on the next generation of minivans though. Won't have to worry about the old tech column shifter or that stupid looking, dashboard mounted, rally inspired shifter, then you can do the flappy-paddle thing for manual shifting on the "sporty" versions:idea:

Oh, man! Flashback! 'Was at a car show 'week before last. There was a '500, Long Ram 413, with the push button shift. Almost 100-point perfect! Beautiful! :D

You could also push start those auto tranny's. Had one in a 64 Valiant.
Yep. The early torqueflites had dual pumps - one on the converter and one on the output shaft. As long as the output would turn, the trans had fluid pressure. Those things were tanks!

Yup, too bad they had to down grade them in 70's to make them "cheaper" to build, wanna make a bet that the 4 speed autos based on that trans wouldn't have had the reputation it now has if that pump was left in place.

Actually, I think they pulled the rear pump in the mid-'60s. All the Muscle-era transmissions were single-pump. The later 4-spds have a lousy rep because they were built with cheap parts. It doesn't matter how many pumps they have in them if all the fiddly plastic bits burn/melt/etc.

a friends '06 volvo semi has a 10 spd push button auto trans, kinda cool to drive. my parents motorhome also has one but its only got buttons for P R D and its a 6 spd

just my $0.02, as a sports car guy, I hate paddle shift. That's not shifting. thats telling an auto what gear to be in. I know twin disc gears blah blah blah but if it doesn't have the man pedal and an honest to goodness shifter between the seats it's not worth driving IMHO

Okay rant over :D

One of my ambulances, a Freightliner has a 6spd auto with a push-button transmission. A lot of fire trucks are set up with that, too.

same with LMTV's and vehicles of the like in the army. by buffalo MPCV was the same.

Back