• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

propane questions

kunaji said:
He has already decided he wants to. Why are you so vehement he not do it? Maybe he wants something different, maybe he wants to just because he can. Cut the guy some slack and get off your "you're stupid to convert" campaign. His question wasn't whether he should or not, but rather if he needed to keep the ecu for the ignition. You have made your opinion known.

Like I said, I'm just trying to help him avoid making a bad decision. Nobody has answered my question of why yet. Another thing to think about is that it will be nearly impossible to sell if it's converted to propane...

ZmOz said:
Like I said, I'm just trying to help him avoid making a bad decision. Nobody has answered my question of why yet. Another thing to think about is that it will be nearly impossible to sell if it's converted to propane...

Your opinion is known. He's done his research and decided it's what he wants to do. Whether or not it's the most economical thing to do, he's doing it because in his opinion it fits his needs. He's a grown man and can make his own decisions. Do you drive a solar powered electric car? They get the best gas mileage. I guess you're stupid for not driving one then. Just cut him some slack.

Last edited:
kunaji said:
He's done his research

That's the problem, obviously he hasn't. Another thing that hasn't been mentioned, if this is a "95% trail rig" then going out on a trail with "nearly equivalent of 10 gallons of gasoline" is just plain dumb. What are you going to do when you run out of fuel? Most people take a full 20 gallon gas tank and jerry cans.

I hate trying to talk sense to someone with god-symplex. I'm done.

ZMOZ...do you even know what trails I run? Do you even know that I won't carry an extra tank with me full of propane ready to go? DO you realize that IF I run propane...and spend the day on the trails...even IF I only got 5 MPG (which it will do if not better) that I'd still go 50 miles before running out of fuel? I;ve never been on a trail run and put that many miles on ANY rig I;ve owned in one day. Now sure...if this was a daily driver or if I had to drive 2 hours to even get to where I run...it'd be dumb as I;d have to carry a HUGE propane tank on a little rig. But I can be to the nearest trail head I run at in less than 15 minutes...and the whole area I run in is only a couple hundred acres...I;d have to circle it MANY times to run out of fuel even in 4 low. But you never bothered to think about all this did you? AND if you must know my life's history I do have a truck and trailer to tow it anywhere I need to go that's out of it's driving range.

It sounds like you haven;t done your research...I;ve done mine as I've looked at this from every possible pro and con. All you keep saying is "Don't do it...your mileage will suck". You've not given ANY info as to WHY it will be so much drastically worse. How bad is bad fuel economy on an offroad rig? 10 MPG...8?? I know it'll get at least 8 MPG. I know it will lose some power and fuel economy...but how many rigs get 20 MPG in 4 low anyway? And what about the guys running CJ's with stock 10 gallon tanks? Sure they carry jerry cans...just as I'll carry an extra tank or 2 of propane. They aren't that big and can be mounted anywhere and take about a minute or 2 to switch tanks...I still don't see the problem?? But keep trying...it's entertaining.

I don't see it as worth it for an already injected engine. if you have a carb'ed engine in a trail rig, it makes a LOT of sense.

that said, if you want to do it, DO IT! nothing wrong with trying something kinda new. what was the original question :laugh3: ?

043500, you have still yet to give any reason for propane. What would that be? If you had a carb, propane would be better. If propane was alot cheaper than gas, propane would be better. If you had an engine built for propane, propane would be better. You don't have any of those things. Please tell me why you would want to spend alot of money just to run propane? It doesn't have a single advantage, but it does have multiple disadvantages.

Last edited:
ZmOz said:
043500, you have still yet to give any reason for propane. What would that be? If you had a carb, propane would be better. If propane was alot cheaper than gas, propane would be better. If you had an engine built for propane, propane would be better. You don't have any of those things. Please tell me why you would want to spend alot of money just to run propane? It doesn't have a single advantage.
maybe it's just to be different. even if that's his only reason, if he thinks it's reason enough, so be it.

back to his question, how much of the computer is needed? I have no idea, and haven't read of any propane swaps on this board, so the guy at that propane site linked earlier probably has a better idea than most people here.

"Propane" is not on the Approved Modifications List. Renounce your plans or you will be reeducated. Big Brother is now watching you.

ZmOz said:
043500, you have still yet to give any reason for propane. What would that be? If you had a carb, propane would be better. If propane was alot cheaper than gas, propane would be better. If you had an engine built for propane, propane would be better. You don't have any of those things. Please tell me why you would want to spend alot of money just to run propane? It doesn't have a single advantage.

For me it does...how many reasons you want? I have many.

#1) My rig may sit for weeks at a time withough even being started. Gasoline has a tendency to build moisture as well as it will go bad. Propane does neither.

#2) I run in an area where rollovers are fairly common...I've seen gas spilled out numerous times. Not yet seen any issues (like fires or explosions) BUT I'll never spill a drop of propane no matter how steep the angle nor in a rollover. And yes I know about fuel cells...not too many cheap ones that are DOT legal. And even though this is a trail rig it will be street legal.

#3) There is a "cool factor"...why not run propane.

#4) I think I'm going to do it now just to tick you off. (sorry had to do this)

#5) It's a simpler setup vs a gasoline system as there's not really any parts to malfunction or break (unless purposely done)...and sicne I need a new fuel system anyway from the tank to the throttle body...the price is not even a factor for me.

#6) A propane tank is MUCH less puncture resistant compared to the plastic stock tanks... in the event I get to close to a tree, rock...or again in the event I roll it.

#7) The MJ is light to start with. Since propane tanks can be mounted ANYWHERE in ANY position...I can decide where best to put them for weight distribution...to do this with a gasoline tank and be SAFE I'd spend a lot more coin and might not be DOT legal.

Any more questions? Now...I ask YOU again ZMOZ...Where's the actual numbers on this drastically horrible fuel mileage I'll get? Everyone I've spoekn with...be it affilited with "got propane" or not has not once said anything negative about fuel mileage. And while you are right...the mileage isn't as good as gasoline...it's NOT the aweful mess you are making out to be.

Phil Weeks said:
"Propane" is not on the Approved Modifications List. Renounce your plans or you will be reeducated. Big Brother is now watching you.

Now that's funny! LOL:)

I don't know how they are with engine modifications...but in my recent reading I read somewhere that in the '90's California approved propane as a "clean fuel". Plus the emissions are cleaner vs gas.

hate to bring up a dead topic but was there ever a solution to this?

also Zm0z, there are benifits now huh???? gas being 3.20 a gallon..

he saving money now!

Back