• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project street jeep

Empty_Pockets

NAXJA Forum User
This is my 4th xj, Ive been wanting to do something different than lift it. Its a 98 2.5L 5 Speed. Spent the past week cleaning it up, Bumper end caps, grill, and bumpers will be repainted this week, then the headliner needs to get redone, also have body color flares to install. Plans include, wj rear disk brakes, rear locker, Addco swaybars, lower it 2in, wj lca's and aftermarket upper arms, and drive it. Eventually I want to 4.0L auto swap it and build the 4.0 to make a nasty sleeper wagon, or swap in a awd trilblazer ss drivetrain...

Last edited:
Couple questions:

Why bother with the disc brake swap? In my experience its only really useful off-road. Upgraded front brakes will pay MUCH higher dividends.

I'd also lean towards a good (Yukon Dura-Grip) LSD over a full locker. A locker or spool will create understeer on road.

Why the different control arms?

Have you thought about tires? Probably the single most important thing you can change.

Skip the 4.0/AW4 stage and go to the Trailblazer LS2 swap. That's what I have in my 2WD XJ right now and it's fantastically fun to drive.

-Matt

Couple questions:

Why bother with the disc brake swap? In my experience its only really useful off-road. Upgraded front brakes will pay MUCH higher dividends.

I'd also lean towards a good (Yukon Dura-Grip) LSD over a full locker. A locker or spool will create understeer on road.

Why the different control arms?

Have you thought about tires? Probably the single most important thing you can change.

Skip the 4.0/AW4 stage and go to the Trailblazer LS2 swap. That's what I have in my 2WD XJ right now and it's fantastically fun to drive.

-Matt

I hate rebuilding drum brakes, I may do wj brakes all the way around.

I already have the locker left over from my last project.

I want tubular control arms to get rid of the stamped steel stock ones.

These tires will stay until they are done, this is just a daily driver nothing Im going to race or push very hard.

I like the idea of hot-rodding the 4.0 but the ls series is just way more cost effective, and a 400hp awd xj would just be nasty.

Nice find and project.

Where in S.Jersey? How far from 19067?

Tubular control arms will help with handling and steering. The stock ones flex too much. The WJs are an easy salvage yard find, but you do have to grind down one of the bushings to fit the pocket.

I like rear disc brakes since drums can be inconsistent and lock easy under hard braking. Guess its personal preference if you want to do the swap.

For our teams race Jeep we just boxed in the arms since we are cheap. We also modified the control arm brackets and track bar brackets on the axle to fix the suspension angles after lowering it 3-4 inches. With only 2" you might be ok.

Might look into a Ford Explorer 8.8 axle swap since most come with 3.73 or 4.10 gears plus a clutch type limited slip. Stock the LSD might be pretty weak especially if the axle has some miles on it but rebuild kits are cheap and easy. You also gain rear disc brakes with the swap too. Down side would be having to rear gear or swap the front axle to match.

I am cheap too the wkj arms are free and I'll probably end up boxing the uppers. The truck is a 2.5 5 speed so it has an 8.25 with 4.10's. I have a powertrax locker from my last jeep I'm going to install.

Extremely interested in this build. I'm planning to do the same thing but lower. My problem is figuring out what to do with the 2wd axle. Not really wanting to cut and bent it. Then have to relocate all the brackets.

My problem is figuring out what to do with the 2wd axle. Not really wanting to cut and bent it. Then have to relocate all the brackets.
Here's what I did; didn't affect the suspension at all:

IMG_0077_zps4551dfd5.jpg

-M

Oooo!!!! Need more info on this. Looks like I could go a good 5-6".
Mine is only lowered a couple inches total, but the F-body oil pan on our LQ4 V8 wouldn't clear the solid axle, so this was our solution. We just plasma'd the middle out and boxed it in with some pretty thick metal. The speed holes are purely for looks. You can see the "drop axle" or whatever in this pic:

HOPRidge_zps711413ab.jpg

-Matt

Well I acquired a free Eaton m62 so that rick rimmer kit and a 4.0l are looking pretty appealing right now.
I never thought I would hear 'Rick Rimmer' and 'appealing' used in the same sentence. I honestly, wish someone else offered an inexpensive SC option for the 4.0L crowd so that less people would flock to that useless conman.

I never thought I would hear 'Rick Rimmer' and 'appealing' used in the same sentence. I honestly, wish someone else offered an inexpensive SC option for the 4.0L crowd so that less people would flock to that useless conman.

Dude, maybe Santa can bring you a new dead pony to flog.......the one you have with the RR brand has been clubbed to dust.

You may get your wish...

Problem is, the words "Supercharger" and "inexpensive" are mutually exclusive. Done correctly, not cheap. About the same costs as building a stroked engine.

If there is a true interest, something could happen.

Too true. And the same can be said for his current kit as well. He tends to choke the compressor discharge port which causes the compressors to get hot enough to fry eggs on...

Have seen it too many times.

Kind of sad really, being that far out of touch with reality. Sort of feel sorry for him.

Dude, maybe Santa can bring you a new dead pony to flog.......the one you have with the RR brand has been clubbed to dust.

Thank you.

We friggin get it already. You just sound like a bitter prom date that got rode hard and he never called you again.

Back