• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project RollingWreck

RollingWreck

NAXJA Forum User
My latest Project, my first jeep! i just recently got a 1988 Cherokee Laredo 4x4 in poor shape, last owner hit a tree while wheeling, and at some point destroyed the front differential! in the future i plan on a 2-4" lift and 31" mud tires ultimate goal is keep it inexpensive and affordable!

Current List:
replacement D30 3.55 gear non disconnect (have)
Currie lower control arm brackets (axle is missing them, on order)
replace U-joints in axles (just to cover my rear)
seal front diff with Lube Locker gasket

find/replace passenger fender, radiator support and radiator
replace motor mounts with something stout
Truss both differentials.
new springs/shocks (leafs are pretty flat!)

front.jpg

untill i get the differential changed out she is not road worthy. 40mph the death vibration starts. carrier is just flopping around in the case like the bearings are not even there anymore.

her good side

jeep.jpg

project just hit a small snag, i thought i had a pair of axles with the big u-joint.. but i only have ONE! unless i am measuring the caps wrong.. (that can happen!) the one i have with the big joint is clearly an ABS one with the ring in place. will the small u-joints hold up to crawling with a heavy foot with a worn out 4.0, 31" tires and 3.55 gears?

t-frady ran the smaller ones for a little bit. the 35's and locker finally snapped it along with 2 balljoints hahah

i do not recommend running them. they usually seem to go out when you least expect it.

the other axle was given to me as scrap. TJ low pinion with no guts.

in other news.. picked up a set of rough country 3" lift springs and 3" blocks for the rear! $60 for the combo on craigslist.

ditch the blocks. they will cause more problems then youll ever want to fix.
i have a set of rc shackles that i'd sell pretty cheap. they are 1.5/2" lift

People love bastard packs, and can be found cheap, if not shackles can add lift relatively cheap.

Also for your motor mounts I'd recommend Brown Dog, they're a sponsor and have a perfect reputation.

going with a 91 dodge dakota bastard pack. just read one heck of a good article on cheapo lifts on the XJ. as for the motor mounts Brown Dog is the set i have my eye on. since my mounts are bad and with the front end impact my radiator took a nasty fan hit

I didn't believe all the crap about blocks to the extent that everyone says... Until i've watched by buddies rear driveshaft slide off the tcase from axle wrap at least five times in a few hours of wheeling. And that's not even flexing, just in mud. He's running a 3" block

yeah that is the issue about the blocks i had in mind already, puts more leverage on the springs and lets the springs/differential wrap up MUCH easier. made even worse with old weak springs. blocks will only be used on the road for now till i get the springs and parts ready to go together.

got my currie lower control arm brackets today! also got some precision extreme duty u-joints, an ABS drivers side axle from a 93 grand cherokee to match the passenger ABS axle i have. got the differential all removed and found a LOT of my severe vibration issues...

problem list: driveline ujoint sliding around in differential yoke (strap bolts were tight!)

control arm bushings looking buggered

frame side passenger control arm bolt hole slotted out (probly from the passenger side impact)

steering box leaking all over

steering damper on the worn out side

made more progress, got the old differential out, ABS axles fitted with new US made u-joints. lower control arm brackets will be welded on this coming week. just need a new set of bushings for the front end and she goes together! pics to come

Back