• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project "girly" jeep

gonna use the 5.5 coils and and rear springs and shackles out of the wag, and a custom 3 link to hold it all together in the front.... should clear 35s on a full body dd just fine

Sweet, I'm clearing 32's on around 3. I need to trim and bumpstop a little and i'll be good to go. :D Can't wait to see it!

just ordered a box full of goodies from ballistic.... lowers will be wearing all 7/8 heim joints and the upper will be running 3/4 heims, ordering wheels tomorrow and then hope for a day off to put it all together ;) once its lifted and locked the armoring process will begin

hey at least this rig will be done within three months....

:doh:

Any reason behind the kinda smallish control arm joints? I've just never been a fan of stuff that size in that application, why not something like 1 1/4 lowers and 7/8 uppers? Im not too keen on an upper link with 3/4 stuff, especially in a 3 link when it'll see more force then say a 4 link.

It will see more forces in a radial sort of way, maybe, but it won't bind as much when wheeling which is (i suspect) way more harmful than road driving. Probably be just fine. When it gets noisy... 13.50 from Ruffstuff.

:doh:

Any reason behind the kinda smallish control arm joints? I've just never been a fan of stuff that size in that application, why not something like 1 1/4 lowers and 7/8 uppers? Im not too keen on an upper link with 3/4 stuff, especially in a 3 link when it'll see more force then say a 4 link.

I ran a 3/4 joint upper in the wag and never had an issue plus Brian runs a 3/4 joint upper in his buggy with a fully dressed 60 and 42's and never has any issue..... I'm just going off experience the load ratings on the smaller hiems is almost. 9 times the weight of the jeep so it should be good

I ran a 3/4 joint upper in the wag and never had an issue plus Brian runs a 3/4 joint upper in his buggy with a fully dressed 60 and 42's and never has any issue..... I'm just going off experience the load ratings on the smaller hiems is almost. 9 times the weight of the jeep so it should be good

:thumbup:

I guess I just have something against 3/4 ends for some reason. Im still debating if I wanna run 7/8 or 3/4 for my steering setup. I like the bigger size joint so I can run a larger bolt. Its all in the compromise between which size thru bore and size misalignment spacers to maintain the largest possible bolt. I like the idea of a 3/4x5/8 end over a 3/4x3/4 for the larger/stronger body, but dislike the 1/2 bolt id have to run with misalignment spacers.

:thumbup:

I guess I just have something against 3/4 ends for some reason. Im still debating if I wanna run 7/8 or 3/4 for my steering setup. I like the bigger size joint so I can run a larger bolt. Its all in the compromise between which size thru bore and size misalignment spacers to maintain the largest possible bolt. I like the idea of a 3/4x5/8 end over a 3/4x3/4 for the larger/stronger body, but dislike the 1/2 bolt id have to run with misalignment spacers.

Huh...?

You can run a 3/4" heim with 5/8" high misalignment spacers. You are not going to break a grade 8 5/8" bolt in a steering setup.

There are regular misalignment spacers that don't step down the bolt size, but they don't offer as much misalignment.

Huh...?

You can run a 3/4" heim with 5/8" high misalignment spacers. You are not going to break a grade 8 5/8" bolt in a steering setup.

True, on a 3/4x3/4 end but its weaker then a 3/4x5/8 end cause of the thinner body size.

Huh...?

There are regular misalignment spacers that don't step down the bolt size, but they don't offer as much misalignment.

^ what he said...... if you break a 5/8 grade 8 in your steering setup your jeep is at the bottom of a cliff and you'll have bigger issues.... when i scrapped the wagoneer i checked on the status of all the joints in the links and steering every ballistic and poly joint was WASTED and every heim (all 3/4's in the upper and steering) were just as tight and smooth as the day i bought them.... and i was not nice to that jeep at all

got more accomplished today. everything is all buttoned up and painted, gonna see if i can sneak some time some time to scoot the exhaust up since its rubbing the new crossmember. few pics of the work and the finished stiffeys..... gonna snap some pics of the finished product tomorrow as we were late for dinner as i was finishing today

backwelded nuts on the stiffener
DSC00171.jpg

clean frame! 36 grit flap disc is my friend
DSC00173.jpg

fitting the drivers side
DSC00175.jpg

more welding, had to jack the jeep up to fit my fat ass underneath it to weld the interior edge on the stiffeys
DSC00176.jpg

cleaned up and ready for paint
DSC00179.jpg

Doug, are there provisions for the crossmember bolt/stud holes? I have my stiffeners buried behind some crap in the garage so i cant have a look. Just a random question.

Doug, are there provisions for the crossmember bolt/stud holes? I have my stiffeners buried behind some crap in the garage so i cant have a look. Just a random question.

yes there are slots cut for the original bolts it makes it really easy to get the stiffener lined up

yes there are slots cut for the original bolts it makes it really easy to get the stiffener lined up

Nice. I may have to have Dad back weld the nuts to the stiffeners. He has welded anything from tank armor(not kidding, he spent a few years on a tank crew in the Army) to aluminum and is damn good at it! That is if he is still unemployed when I have them installed. Hoping he gets a job offer soon though!

Last edited:
wheels came today! i love this pattern and they were just as cheap as the d-windows and soft 8's from summit
IMAG0132.jpg

on another note after an hour trying to get ahold of ballistic fab on the phone about ANOTHER backorder issue i told the to cram it.... well you know the end of the story... happily though i will be ordering higher quality heims from ruffstuff for just about the same money going to 1.25's on the lowers and 3/4's in the upper, the moral of the story is AVOID BALLISTIC FABRICATION AT ALL COSTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! seriously unless you enjoy getting jerked around on the phone, waiting months for parts and getting treated poorly just stay away from them.

Back