• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project Downward Spiral

42 Irok comp stickies are where it is at ;)

(I am dying to take mine out some day..........)
You buying mine? :D
Meet you on the lakebed in November...

I know that was meant for cracker, but funny thing is thats starting to look like my timetable as well. :( I really wanted to get this thing done by late-spring, but its not looking like it'll work with the current cashflow. I am still optimistic!

Mind made up and ordered. :)
I got a very sweet deal on the Pitbull Maddogs from Kevin @ Missouri 4Wheelers Supply... to good to pass up!
If they do end up being a little wide, I'll run a tiny wheel spacer or recenter my H1s.

Mind made up and ordered. :)
I got a very sweet deal on the Pitbull Maddogs from Kevin @ Missouri 4Wheelers Supply... to good to pass up!
If they do end up being a little wide, I'll run a tiny wheel spacer or recenter my H1s.

Shoulda did a set of Krawlers :) any new updates????? its been a week now cmon!

Well I didn't get much done this weekend as I spent it meeting a few new people and getting out on the trails. I wasn't wheelin' myself per lack of vehicle, but it was still a great time.

Do have some updates:

I got the unibody rails all cleaned up and ready for the stiffeners. Man do I really dislike that task. The stock undercoating is a pain to remove, but with flap wheels it goes alright. (I know there are a few areas that need to be cleaned in this picture, I took it before I was finished)
Cleaned_Rail.jpg

Got the whole deal mocked up on the floor prior to mounting it up permanently.
Floor_Mocked.jpg

I also got the unibody rails tacked in place and ready to be finish welded, but I ran out of time and forgot to snap a picture. I'll get some next weekend.

Tires came in: :clap:
Tire_Sticker.jpg

I got one mounted up. I know that the rock rings are not on this wheel and I did that purposely as I'm not sure everything will clear (steering, inner fenders, etc.) once I get it together. If I do end up having to recenter them it'll be easier to cut out the old center without the ring in place. Also that metal valve stem will have to disappear in order for the rings to be mounted. I have to find some rubber ones that'll work in that odd rectangular holes these wheels have.

TireMounted_Up.jpg

I filled her up to 15psi and she measures in at 38-5/8". That works for me!
Mounted_Height.jpg

Last edited:
hey man, nice to meet you on the trail, had a great time wheelin with ya. quite a thread you have going here, i'll make sure i check in from time to time. you need to get this thing done though, those D60's should do a great job draggin the waggy out of the woods! hahaha. man - the waggy had quite a tough weekend. how embarrasing - dragged out twice in the same day. hey, if it ain't breaking then how am i gonna know how to make it better? haha. maybe i should take a welding course?
btw - i was actually able to wheel sunday too - that electrical issue i had turned out to be just my control module, a short drive and $65 bucks and i was back on the trail by 11 sunday. now i just need to exchange that junker NP208 that i put in just before the next trip.

hey man, nice to meet you on the trail, had a great time wheelin with ya. quite a thread you have going here, i'll make sure i check in from time to time. you need to get this thing done though, those D60's should do a great job draggin the waggy out of the woods! hahaha. man - the waggy had quite a tough weekend. how embarrasing - dragged out twice in the same day. hey, if it ain't breaking then how am i gonna know how to make it better? haha. maybe i should take a welding course?
Haha... no worries we all had a great time. Practice and maybe a bigger welder is probably all ya need. They looked good. ;) All the busting was just in good fun anyway...
btw - i was actually able to wheel sunday too - that electrical issue i had turned out to be just my control module, a short drive and $65 bucks and i was back on the trail by 11 sunday. now i just need to exchange that junker NP208 that i put in just before the next trip.
Sweet. We were talking on the way back hoping you made out ok sorting those issues. Assuming Sunday was a good day too?

Oh, if you've got any pictures shoot me an email with some of 'em, they'd be cool to look at and keep me kicking myself. :D

pm me your e-mail address. i'll send a couple shots, nothing came out great though.
sunday was good too. big group + three roll-overs + engine fire = lots of standing around.

You taken a break from this bill?
Heck no!
Just haven't gotten around to snapping pictures and updating the thread.
That and most of the work done is just math, angles, and figuring out how things will be done. I'll get some pictures up at the end of the weekend for ya.

That and most of the work done is just math, angles, and figuring out how things will be done

that's how a good project should be :lecture:

that's how a good project should be :lecture:
I know, but I like the fabrication part better! :D
Next on my list is to purchase all the link tubing, that won't be fun on the wallet.

the wallet may not be a fan, but everyone else is :)

Alright.... updates.

Did a bunch of calculations and figuring for the front links, got them figured out. Not much to show there, it is all on paper for now until I can get the funds to order the link tubing.

So I decided to move back to the rear and get the coilover hoops made up.
That meant that I needed to get some springs so I had the full dimensions of the coilovers. This would allow me to get the proper clearances and whatnot. Minor problem, I have no springs and I can't order any without knowing that weight of the Jeep and money.

So I spent 30min or so cutting out some round discs from 3/4 plywood. 4" OD, 2.5" ID.

WoodenSprings1.jpg

Slid them onto the coilovers:

WoodenSprings2.jpg

Wrapped the with posterboard, staples, and tape. I've got poor mans mock up springs!

WoodenSprings3.jpg

Got them in postion on the Jeep. Don't mind the electrical conduit it was all I had to get them to stay in place easy. This is with 6" of uptravel and 8" of downtravel. This leaves me with 1.5" of clearance to the "frame" and 2" of clearance to the tire. I think this should be fine?

Coilover_1st_Mock.jpg

Ran into a issue with the hatch clearance.

Coilover_Hatch_Close.jpg

So...
After all the work getting the rear 'D' pillar moved forward, it is going to disappear. The below to pictures show what I'm going to cut out and remove (red hatched sections). I'll be sliding the top section of roof forward (see second picture) This should gain me 3.5" and plenty of room for the coilover.

2nd_RoofCuts1.jpg

2nd_RoofCuts2.jpg

That is it for tonight. Gonna sit down with some Eggnog and rum and hit the hay early so I can get a good start tomorrow before I have to quit early.

Sucks that you need to backtrack a little, but hey, it happens. Glad to hear you're making progress :)

It wouldn't be easier to move the rear axle back about 2 inchs and move the upper mounts since none of that has been fabricated yet?

Probably, but I'm already at 115" wheelbase.
Not only do I think 117" is pushing it, but it just looks odd with the rear tires that far back.

Back