• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Project 5.0 install begins today

Nice Build.

I have one question and I have seen this on NAXJA more than once. Whats up with pullingg the head off then pulling the motor out? I have done two swaps with the engine complete and never had a problem. I didn't even pull the header panel from my 97 and it came out just fine even with my lift. I like to have mine complete on the stand before install so I was just curious.

Hope you get it lined out, should run damn good.

Mike H. said:
Not to be a jerk, but, in an effort to help you...
If you paid for the head work, the information is yours, and you deserve to have it. If you ever choose to have a custom cam ground for it, or decide to work the intake, or fab a custom header, or, just plain look for a good header, how will you know what to look for without having the head flow data?
For comparisson, I've had several sets of heads ported/bowled/valved for my 5.0(ford v-8) by several different shops, and the flow data was always provided without needing be asked for. I am not impressed if the shop thinks they own the head flow data.

At any rate, why the ti valves? and you did not mention bronze, or berillium/copper seats...

A good friend of mine discussed this with me. I do not mention all of the work done or the parts involved because it will advertise what is under the hood. I drive a doorless Jeep. Those of us who have built motors and see my initial cost that is posted have general assumtions floating in thier heads already of what I have done performance wise, and what it would take to get an off par head to perform.
That is pretty much it. And as for proprietary, it is a different story when you and the machine shop put the parts together with the intention of using the data as a product to sell. Consider it as when two companies ally themselves for an R&D project.

Besides.... I am still trying to figure out if we have all the complete data. These parts are assembled months before they should have been, and the motor is on the road before I got a chance for testing or dyno. Everything now is real world data only.

BlueCuda said:
Nice Build.

I have one question and I have seen this on NAXJA more than once. Whats up with pullingg the head off then pulling the motor out? I have done two swaps with the engine complete and never had a problem. I didn't even pull the header panel from my 97 and it came out just fine even with my lift. I like to have mine complete on the stand before install so I was just curious.

Hope you get it lined out, should run damn good.

Cuz we are guys and just didn't think to do it that way ;)

mk153smaw said:
Cuz we are guys and just didn't think to do it that way ;)

More like ... "it was 100 friggin degrees outside and the humidity was skyrocketing and our brains were barely able to keep us from not falling over."

At times, i was just trying to remember my name ... it was HOT !!!

I guess we all have reasons for doing what we do.
I'd love to look over the full blue print. As for inital impression based on $, believe me, I know all too well the cost of max'n out stock equipment... my 302 runs stock heads that alone tally what you indicated spending at the shop.

Do you plan on getting the rig to a chassis dyno to help dial it in?

Mike H. said:
I guess we all have reasons for doing what we do.
I'd love to look over the full blue print. As for inital impression based on $, believe me, I know all too well the cost of max'n out stock equipment... my 302 runs stock heads that alone tally what you indicated spending at the shop.

Do you plan on getting the rig to a chassis dyno to help dial it in?

That is the full intention now. I need to have some numbers to be able to say where the motor is at in terms of performance.

mk153smaw said:
A good friend of mine discussed this with me. I do not mention all of the work done or the parts involved because it will advertise what is under the hood.

Sharing your info allow other people that are interested in doing something similar so do gather information. Its part of being on a forum. If you didn't want people to ask questions and attempt similar builds, then you shouldn't have posted in the first place. As far as advertising what is under the hood, do you feel special because you have a 5.0 stroker?

Talyn said:
Sharing your info allow other people that are interested in doing something similar so do gather information. Its part of being on a forum. If you didn't want people to ask questions and attempt similar builds, then you shouldn't have posted in the first place. As far as advertising what is under the hood, do you feel special because you have a 5.0 stroker?

wow ... aren't you all kinds of informative. For the record, special ... I'd say so ... 5.0L is a rare breed ... 2nd, unlike people in PA like yourself, those of us in TX, AZ, NM, etc. must keep a watchful eye on all Jeeps that are 4x4. There is an insane demand for them south of the border. The more modded, the more likely it is to go away.

Dave has posted quite a bit of info here and elsewhere. The internet is a very public place. if you need or want specifics, I'd recommend pming him or emailing him.

I am of the mentality of "run what you brung" from my racing days. Running in no way involved you looking or finger fudging what's under my hood. And considering money was on the line there and I didn't do it, I can totally respect Dave's wishes to not do it on here for free.

Think of it as another annoyance like blurring out you license plate ...

mikegronholz said:
Dave has posted quite a bit of info here and elsewhere. The internet is a very public place. if you need or want specifics, I'd recommend pming him or emailing him.

Yes, because Naxja is a den of Jeep thieves. If that was the case, once again, he shouldn't have posted in the first place.. he already said he has a 5.0L, and his location. BTW, if you want anonymity, don't produce your location.. I don't live in PA. As for pming this guy, I asked him twice here what pushrods he was using.. something as simple as a pushrod.. and got no answer on it.

Talyn said:
Yes, because Naxja is a den of Jeep thieves. If that was the case, once again, he shouldn't have posted in the first place.. he already said he has a 5.0L, and his location. BTW, if you want anonymity, don't produce your location.. I don't live in PA. As for pming this guy, I asked him twice here what pushrods he was using.. something as simple as a pushrod.. and got no answer on it.

I sure am glad you are here to police other people's lives.

nope ... we need to adjust the rockers a hair more on cyl 3 or 4. other than that, runs like a champ.

Talyn said:
I asked him twice here what pushrods he was using.. something as simple as a pushrod.. and got no answer on it.

mk153smaw said:
Yes on the 4.0 stock push rods. I had the head pedestals clearanced for the roller rocker mounts. I wanted to reatin many of the stock parts for replacement issues later on down the road if I ever have to get back into this motor.

He said he was using the stock push rods.

Dane

Last edited:
Clean-RC said:
So why did you go Harland Sharp on the rocker arms? Even the adjustables?

The price was pretty much the same for his non adjustables as was for the adjustables.
I have bought from his shop before and like the product.

No pings so far. The 2.5 exuast is not sufficient so I am going up to 3"
I have to check the injector to really make sure they are 30lbs, I am suspecting maybe they are not. Then again some of the issues I have right now could be because I am still in the break in time of the motor and it is still streching itself out.

So whats telling you the exhaust is to small? Just Curious.

If its been driven 10 miles its pretty much broken in, it might pick up a small amount of power as it wears in but nothing seat of the pants. Just my .02. Glad its together and running.

Back