• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Programmers?!?

And talyn... You are saying that the programmer is just a resistor? LOL
one pricey piece of equipment.

Pretty much. It only has two inputs to go off of. Air intake temp and MAP. It has no TPS nor engine RPM so it can't do anything significant. It has no way to determine when the engine is in open loop, nor what the rpm is. At most it adjusts the MAP voltage that the PCM sees at a certain MAP sensor output voltage. Which if it is in the correct range (closed loop) the PCM will just tune out.

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/MAP_adjuster.html
Probably better than a chip... for your money anyway.

Not really unless you can see what would engine is actually doing from an AFR gauge.

Unless you are doing a stroker/supercharger/ turbo you really shouldn't need things like that. And if you are you would benefit from a full piggy back computer like the ones from PSC, AEM, Apexi, Unichip, etc.

I thought about doing this for maybe better highway gas mileage... Leaning out when I am at a constant speed...but in order to put it into action, (as Talyn said) i need a wideband AFR gauge. Which at their current price, would negate any fuel savings I could achieve.

True... wideband 02s are $$$$$. Need one to tune it for performance as well (I have a motorcycle for summer DD and a free Honda accord to rust away in the wintertime. Jeep does a fair bit of driving in the summer- hauling scrap and camping and such, but in the winter only sees blizzard duty and gets washed and stored when the snowplow trucks end the fun.)

I thought about doing this for maybe better highway gas mileage... Leaning out when I am at a constant speed...but in order to put it into action, (as Talyn said) i need a wideband AFR gauge. Which at their current price, would negate any fuel savings I could achieve.

Won't work and not needed for highway lean fuel trim. The factory already runs at 14.7:1, which is plenty lean. Also, being that you are cruising and in closed loop any correction you dial in while be quickly negated by the PCM.

It means your are wrong. Idle RPM should be between 500 and 900 rpm per the FSM. :read:

whatever dude.... i know i'm not wrong. are you someone that actually works on his cars or are you someone that sits behind the computer all day and gets their info off it? not tryin to be an a** just wondering

whatever dude.... i know i'm not wrong. are you someone that actually works on his cars or are you someone that sits behind the computer all day and gets their info off it? not tryin to be an a** just wondering

No, you are wrong, an ass, and an idiot.

Not only am I the only person that works on my vehicles I am also a mechanic at my machine shop. spobi.

ahahahahhhahah

You're the one asking about what programmer people are using on an ancient design. Sounds like you've only read that programmers were a good idea (not saying they aren't for other vehicles) without any practical application.

I don't usually elevate people to celebrity status but the dude is one of the moderators on jeepstrokers.com. He knows his stuff. Lurk & learn more, post less.

17025664fc60fefc0fa4a313fb6db08f5cac4e4.gif

ahahahahhhahah

You're the one asking about what programmer people are using on an ancient design. Sounds like you've only read that programmers were a good idea (not saying they aren't for other vehicles) without any practical application.

I don't usually elevate people to celebrity status but the dude is one of the moderators on jeepstrokers.com. He knows his stuff. Lurk & learn more, post less.

yeah and what about it... i was trying to get some insight from people that have had programmer on their jeep. that doesnt mean i dont know what im talkin about cuz i do..... but whatever im done arguing but he must be right..... or he has everyone else fooled lol.

First off dude stfu and hold on a sec. You havent been here very long and I feel you should be informed about how things go around here.
Rule 1: Dont be a whiney bitch
Rule 2: If someone hurts your feelings, who gives a XXXX
Rule 3: Normally people who take the time to write a long post with info are trying to help you out.
Rule 4: Dont be a whiney bitch
Rule 5: Dont get cocky just because you turn wrenches, theres always someone more certified or knowledgable out there
Rule 6: If you cant take it, dont dish it
Rule 7: always search before you ask, if you cant figure out how to search just ask
Rule 8: Alot of us web wheelers spend too much time here, NAXJA has even been referred to as my second home. That being said, dont shit everywhere.

Oh and before you ask if I work on my own cars, blah blah blah. Yes I do, I spend all day working on other peoples junk as well. Im a Chrysler certified tech, and ASE certified, Epa certified, local ROP certified, You're EX GF certified me, and I'm also known as THAT GUY.

This message was written for humor and written with truth. Im not trying to be a dick and scare someone away from naxja, Id like to see someone elses builds and ideas on here. If you follow the rules, you will enjoy NAXJA.

-----NorCalChris

oh dont worry im not the whiney bitch... i'm just trying to get the facts straight. so are you here to help me get the facts straight or just be a dick. sounds like you cant even follow your own rules.

oh dont worry im not the whiney bitch... i'm just trying to get the facts straight. so are you here to help me get the facts straight or just be a dick. sounds like you cant even follow your own rules.

...and just think. If you kept your pie hole shut no one would know you're an idiot.

You were told what the facts were and you still acted like an idiot.
what i said wasnt wrong cuz your specs proved it...
Really, let me refresh your memory as to what you said.
you should be idling around 700-750rpm stock.. you might want to look in on that.
And how is that not wrong? You gave a range of 700-750 rpm and told me I have something I might need to fix. Which, is completely untrue. 500-900 is the range, so there is/was/won't be anything I "might want to look in on".

Last edited:
Back