• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problem with Ignition/ Key lock Cylinder

TricolorXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all So I have a 1991 XJ 4.0 6 cylinder Automatic Transmission.

I finally got it running (it had been sitting for years) but then the key got stuck. After lube and no luck, I took pliers to force it back toward the driver, and I was able to pull the key out. Unfortunately, this broke something.

I figured it was the key lock cylinder, so I went in to the steering wheel, got the old one out, new one in. No Start. They key turns but there's no resistance and no spark.

I looked at the old key cylinder and on the end that goes into the steering column it looked like a rubber piece had broken off inside it (and the other must be inside the steering column). Does anybody know what part this is and if you believe that's my problem?

I'm thinking I may have to go to a junk yard to get this part....

Right now I'm at a standstill because I cannot seem to figure out how to get the new key lock cylinder out. When I do I can look and see what's going on with that broken rubber piece, and try to crank the engine with some pliers.

Also, I don't have an image host right now, but once you remove the blinker module out of the way, there is a screw and a plastic piece with metal "hair clips". I took the plastic part out that has two "hair clips" but I believe the third "hair clip" underneath it fell down further into the steering column :explosion

If anyone has any tricks on maneuvering that key lock cylinder out that would be greatly appreciated. Any other advice would be great too!

Thanks

A 1991 has the GM style steering column. The key cylinder actuates a rod that runs down the column to the ignition switch that's attached to the column under the dash. I suspect the switch is jammed, or the rad and mechanism are broken after forcing it. There are numerous videos on tearing down the column.

Was this you at the 3:30 mark, breaking it with the channel locks?
https://youtu.be/qfbj53WgQ-8?t=209

Update***

So with much frustration I was unable to remove the key lock cylinder. I use the screwdriver method to push that tab in and it pulls out slightly so that I no longer have to use the screwdriver, but then the key lock cylinder will just not come out any further.

I'm not sure if I can break down the steering column without that new key lock cylinder out. I hate to drill it out and make a mess inside the steering column, but that may be what a shop would end up doing with the Jeep if I took it in.

Like I said, with that New lock cylinder out, I believe a rubber piece needs to be replaced as, looking in the old one, there is a rubber piece broken off inside the end of that Original Lock Cylinder.

Any quick answers would be appreciated as I'm at a crossroads, I need to fix it soon or take it to the shop because I do not want to leave it sitting for too long, as I just got it started again after sitting for years. Right now it will be two weeks tomorrow. I say if I can't fix it this coming week it's gonna get towed to the local Jeep mechanic :/

And no that was not me in that Youtube video.

Back