• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

power trans switch

boostamante

NAXJA Forum User
I noticed it was hanging below the dash. it wasnt on and it wasnt off.. just kinda sitting there. I read the manual that came with the jeep and its for towing and other heavy duty things. I noticed it was in the on postition but no LED was on. Turned it off and still felt the same. Could the switch be bad? sucks to think i could get more power to turn those 31" tires and i cant cause of the switch being broken.

I believe it only changes the Shift points. Mine broke also, but it is in the on position! I think the switch is like $60 from the stealer...

I believe it only changes the Shift points. Mine broke also, but it is in the on position! I think the switch is like $60 from the stealer...

are they the same on years close to it? say a 88-89 or 90-91 switch? just wondering so when i go look for one at the junk yard i can take one from a dead XJ

Last edited:
They are 87-91, first year of HO engine had them

It basically just changes the shift points to higher RPM, which makes it feel like it winds out more and shifts more rapidly, and it also changes the shift sequence between 3rd and overdrive

They are 87-91, first year of HO engine had them

It basically just changes the shift points to higher RPM, which makes it feel like it winds out more and shifts more rapidly, and it also changes the shift sequence between 3rd and overdrive

ok, so the range you mentioned should work on my 91 so long as i dont go over the 91 or before the 87?

if I am not mistaken they did not use the AW4 previous to 87, as the AW4 came behind the 4.0L Which started in 87.

My 95´ Country have it so I think most 91-96 with AW4 had them.

Regards

It is possible, I suppose, a 95 spanish XJ had it but in US models 91 was the last year for the button. The HO models are "locked into" the power mode.

Some believe the economy mode causes premature failure of the transmission due to slipping with more gentle shifts, while other say it causes no problems and gets better mpg's. Jeep apperantly decided it was better to not have the adjustment so they deleted it (at least in the US).

It is possible, I suppose, a 95 spanish XJ had it but in US models 91 was the last year for the button. The HO models are "locked into" the power mode.

Some believe the economy mode causes premature failure of the transmission due to slipping with more gentle shifts, while other say it causes no problems and gets better mpg's. Jeep apperantly decided it was better to not have the adjustment so they deleted it (at least in the US).

Wow, interesting info. Would be great to know the real reason for the switch elimination in for american market XJs....I could delete mine and fix the ON position:loveu:

Thanks

Wow, interesting info. Would be great to know the real reason for the switch elimination in for american market XJs....I could delete mine and fix the ON position:loveu:

Thanks

Likely reason for elimination. $2 less expense to build each vehicle. Could have also been for CAFE fuel mileage standards testing. Higher shift points likely reduce MPG, at least during standard test.

Likely reason for elimination. $2 less expense to build each vehicle. Could have also been for CAFE fuel mileage standards testing. Higher shift points likely reduce MPG, at least during standard test.

The HO's were locked into the higher shift points....not the economy mode.

I noticed it was hanging below the dash. it wasnt on and it wasnt off.. just kinda sitting there. I read the manual that came with the jeep and its for towing and other heavy duty things. I noticed it was in the on postition but no LED was on. Turned it off and still felt the same. Could the switch be bad? sucks to think i could get more power to turn those 31" tires and i cant cause of the switch being broken.

Did you check the fuse, mine says trans on it...Try turning it on off on off then on again..Could just be dirty.. I run with no doors so it gets real dirty...

Manually conneect it to on/off or just buy a normal switch and stick that in there. Personally the little lite on there is annoying.

Just disconnect the ground to the switch then the light will go out.

Just disconnect the ground to the switch then the light will go out.

True, but I went to so much trouble to wire it in the first place as I swapped the auto in for a manual. The little square of black electrical tape is working nicely in the meantime. Instead of cutting the ground, splicing in a resistor to dim it might be easier. I'm not sure if the bulb/ground is needed to pull the voltage down or not. I was also considering popping the switch open and swapping in a difference color led that'll stay cool as well.

Last edited:
The light is not a LED it is a plain old bulb, I would just pull the bulb out that would probally be easiest.
--if you wanted a factory look to it, next time you are at a junkyard grab a rear window wiper/washer switch and swap out the toggle faceplate (does not have a cut out for a light filter, if you were to pull the bulb).

The light is not a LED it is a plain old bulb, I would just pull the bulb out that would probally be easiest.
--if you wanted a factory look to it, next time you are at a junkyard grab a rear window wiper/washer switch and swap out the toggle faceplate (does not have a cut out for a light filter, if you were to pull the bulb).

Yeah, I know its a bulb. I just have a bunch of leds in better colors handy. Its inside the switch, btw.

Last edited:
Back