• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Steering Flush?

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone have a wright up of a power steering flush. I need to change my power steering presure line because it started leeking tonight and loss of presure. I figure while I am replaceing the line I can flush the system as well. Any help would be appreciated.

No real write up, but here's what I did. I took off the low pressure return line, and extended it (about three feet) with clear vinyl tubing and a hose clamp. This I ran to an empty jug to catch the old stuff.

Then I pulled the coil wire to keep the engine from firing, and cranked it over to turn the pump, and flush the old fluid. I stood outside while cranking to watch the old fluid change color as the new replaced it.

Only crank for a few seconds at a time, and keep the res topped up, so as not to get air into the system. It won't hurt anything if you do, but sometimes bleeding out all the air can be problematic.

Steve

Or you can use a turkey baster, suck out all the fluid in the reservoir, fill with new. Drive for a bit. Repeat one or two more times. Not quite as efficient but this will get out the majority of the old fluid.

No real write up, but here's what I did. I took off the low pressure return line, and extended it (about three feet) with clear vinyl tubing and a hose clamp. This I ran to an empty jug to catch the old stuff.

Then I pulled the coil wire to keep the engine from firing, and cranked it over to turn the pump, and flush the old fluid. I stood outside while cranking to watch the old fluid change color as the new replaced it.

Only crank for a few seconds at a time, and keep the res topped up, so as not to get air into the system. It won't hurt anything if you do, but sometimes bleeding out all the air can be problematic.

Steve

I used this method too, but didn't disconnect the ignition. Used a helper to start and stop the motor. Disconnecting the coil is a good idea. I did have some mess my way.

ATF is fine for power steering fluid. That is what Ford recommends and it will work fine in a Jeep too.

Ok so I replaced both lines on the system today. I bought the high presure line for 18.99 and the return line was 5.00 and some prestone power stering fluid along with a 18mm line wrench. About 95% of the fluid was drained out when the hoses were removed and I ran clean fluid through the resevore to remove all the old fluid in the resevore. I replaced both lines and filled to the cold mark on the dip stick. I then started the jeep and let it run until the temp reached 180 on the thermostat the pump wined a bit for the first 5 seconds. I shut off the jeep and added fluid until the level reached the Hot mark on the dip stick. I started the jeep again and let it run and checked the level agian I noticed that the oil was foaming so I turned the steering wheel back and forth to bleed the system. When I noticed that the foaming was gone I figured the system was now bled. Steering works good and wines a little when I do a U turn but seems to work good and know more leaks.

I used this method too, but didn't disconnect the ignition. Used a helper to start and stop the motor. Disconnecting the coil is a good idea. I did have some mess my way.

ATF is fine for power steering fluid. That is what Ford recommends and it will work fine in a Jeep too.
ATF is NEVER good to use in place of power steering fluid. Unless you want to buy a new pump soon.

Yep the manual said never to use ATF.

The manual siad to use Mopar power steering fluid or equvilent. The Prestone fluid I bought said Chrysler on the back so I figured that meant jeep.

Power Steering Fluid.

About sorta less than a pint ever 10 to 15 years wheather it needs it or not! :wow::paperwork

What else gets less care on a Jeep? It really should be changed at least every 50k miles or so.

here is what i did, i removed the return line from the reservior and sleeved it into another rubber hose to extend it out and into a 5 gallon bucket. i then used a rubber band and some plastic bag material to block off the lower part of the reservior. filled it up to the top. put some jack stands under the axle to get the front wheels off the ground. put the key to the on position but do not start it. now simply turn the wheel lock to lock to pump out all the old fluid and after a couple lock to lock turns refill, keep doing this i think i went through about 3-4 quarts of power steering fluid before it ran clear. the old stuff looked like root beer the new stuff was totally clear! once it ran clear in the bucket, reattach the line and top off fluid. a total cake job and as mentioned i beleive to be one of the most neglected fluids in a car/truck. i suggest not starting the engine to help speed up the process, the pump will suck the container dry in literally a second or two and there is no way you can top it off fast enough. you will be running the pump dry in no time, burning it up and introducing air to the system which you now have to bleed. lock to lock w/ the wheels in the air to make turning it very easy is the way to go IMO.

Back