• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power steering fluid spewing in the rocks

travisk

NAXJA Forum User
I run 35" tires with a rebuilt Durango steering box. Whenever I get into big rocks, power steering fluid wheezes all over the frame near the steering box. I can't tell where it's coming from. The steering box is dry. I'm not pushing the steering against the stops, and I don't feel like I'm cranking too hard on the wheel, but I know that turning 35" tires at 10 PSI takes a lot of power.

Is there some sort of pressure valve on the pump that's letting go? Is this an expected deficiency or do I have a leak somewhere? Would a power steering cooler help?

You should have a cooler regardless, If you can’t find any leaks I would start with a cooler and full flush and fill with royal purple synthetic fluid. When I went to 35s I did that and added a Gen Right over drive pulley and it fixed my steering fade issues. Cooler was a generic one from O'Reilys for like 15 bucks.

I had a high pressure power steering hose that looked fine until I hit the steering stops, at which point it suddenly turned to swiss cheese and started shooting fluid everywhere. Back off the steering stops and it was fine. Maybe you've got a pinhole that's opening up when really working the steering in the rocks?

definetly getnning lucas syth a power steering cooler, helps a ton, im also running lucas steering fluid, helps out a bit

the cap is designed to vent pressure when it builds up too much to keep the reservoir and hoses from exploding when you hit the steering stops. when the fluid gets hot and expands it pisses all over instead of just venting air.

when the pump starts going out, sometimes it'll piss out of any weak seal it can find in the reservoir. Mine would leak where it fits into the pump. When it finally went, it would pump out all it's fluid through the fill hole pretty much within a few seconds.

Its cold and like most fluids things are a little sluggish when really cold. Hydraulics are no different. But prob should take more then a min to go away.

flush out the old fluid and add some good juice. you can buy synthetic PS fluid online or at performance auto shops. lucas is great as a stop leak or to keep a bad pump alive but its too thick to run as the only fluid.

I should also mention that the steering fades for a few seconds after starting on cold mornings. Is that another sign of a dying pump?

I have this same issue. Im also on 35s... I have a leak somewhere (most likely my box) I just figured there was an air pocket in there from wherever it leaked out the night before. I just picked up a durango box so Im gonna change that first... hopefully that fixes my leak issue and will def fix my DW issue (play in the shaft of my box). Ive already replaced my hoses and pump...

If you have a leak when you run in the big rocks, you most likely have a shot bearing on the sector shaft, causing a seal failure. The fluid is most likely coming out just above the pitman arm.

If the housing isn't stretched out of shape, you are most likely looking at a box rebuild.

Back