• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with choosing the right steering box.

desertrat81

NAXJA Forum User
Looking for a strong gear box for my '01 XJ with 31x10.5 R15. Maybe with a quick ratio. But my biggest concern is steering wheel play. I keep replacing the box with a rebuilt OEM and now I'm just done with the looseness. Thanks.

Looking for a strong gear box for my '01 XJ with 31x10.5 R15. Maybe with a quick ratio. But my biggest concern is steering wheel play. I keep replacing the box with a rebuilt OEM and now I'm just done with the looseness. Thanks.

If from the Local Auto Parts stores, it might be the issue. I'd look then to have either Red Top or Blue Top rebuild a box.

I went straight to PSC for my set-up and it's been great for 5 years now!

+1 on redtop. Just swapped one in my WJ. Steering is tight with no leaks.

I should add info as to why. I did get a gear box from I think Advanced. It was tight when installed. I did read a post on that it would loosen up after a while. I don't think my bout with Death Wobble helped. I have not had Red Top nor Blue Top gear box. Going by reviews.
I do have a Durango box in the waiting. Its one I did rebuild. I think it will end up in my Comanche. I am looking to use a YJ or SJ box in an up coming build. A bit thicker and 4 bolt holes. All of this depends on what $$ you want to spend.
Presently, the stock box that came with my 2000 XJ is tight. If you saw the before picture, you'd say 'How?". Almost a JY or PnP rescue.

Back