• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power outage!

I've done some research... and when they say "severed", they don't mean physically cut.

These high voltage lines and systems have safety mechanisms built in that cut power to the high voltage lines when there is a power disruption. So, when they say severed, they mean they had sort of disconnected themselves from the grid for safety reasons. When the guy flipped the switch in Yuma, it caused a power surge that brought down both high voltage lines into San Diego. When those went down, San Onofre, also shut down for safety reasons.

Similar thing happened in the big outage in the Northeast a few winters back which caused that domino effect that took out power to 50 million people.

(In full disclosure, I had worked at SDG&E for almost 10 years, and currently work for their sister company, SoCalGas.)

Last edited:
power went out yesterday afternoon, heard it was going to be a big one and take a long time to fix. tried to get dry ice at the albertsons but the town was going nuts, like it was the apocolyps or something and each person was buying a full over stacked food cart of ice. obviously sold out in minutes and before i got any. just wanted to save all the frozen boob milk for the baby. so instead i hooked the fridge and a second freezer to a generator. just for comfort i sent the wife and kids to her moms (had power). i shut the generator off around 11:30 so the neighbors didnt have to listen to it all night, and power came back on an hour and half or so later. boob milk was saved and i have a cold diet pepsi. all is good, but the normally 6-7 minute drive out of town to the 15 took my wife 1 hour 45 minutes. once on the 15 it was good. it just amazes me how quickly panic sets in when something like this happens. but hey, maybe it taught alot of people a lessen.

I never lost power. Another reason to enjoy the high desert over the low desert. Except that I lose power everytime the wind blows too hard...

This is the first time i have lost power this year in the low desert. Thats the great part about IID over SCE, they are always off in PS.

First why is the US being the big brother to Mexico. And SoCal drivers suck at a stop light that does not blink. Does no one know what a 4 way stop is?

I don't know if you have renters or home owners insurance but you could put a claim in for all the food that you lost. I only lost about $10 so not even worth my time to put in a claim.

Back