• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing Brake Power Booter

oldbill

NAXJA Forum User
Can you replace the power brake booster without completely removing the brake master cylinder. That is can you leave the brake lines connected to the master cylinder, then remove the brake master cylinder from the booster, then remove and replace the booster, reattach the master cylinder.

Are you sure you can't?

I would think that if you disconnected the master from the booster that would also free up the proportioning valve. With the proportioning valve loose (and perhaps the first clamps holding the hard lines to the body) the lines should allow enough movement to get the master cylinder off the studs and out of the way.

Is the problem getting clearance to get the brake pedal rod out of the way? Is it not possible to angle the booster through?

I suppose if there is doubt it would be possible to test the situation in a junkyard.

Someone needs to try it I guess. It's not gonna be me.

Never a bad idea to bleed your brakes. Fluid gets old and cylinders get gunky.

I've swapped enough boosters and I see no advantage, perceived or otherwise, in leaving the master hooked up while fighting the booster back in.

In the rust belt (michigan definitely qualifies) I would not even try to move the MC far enough to get the booster shimmied out without having the materials on hand to repair those lines because at least one or two (likely the line down the frame to the rear axle and the driver front) will probably crumble.

I can see someone trying to avoid having to bleed the brakes if they don't have a second person available, nor the special tools to bleed brakes solo.

I can see someone trying to avoid having to bleed the brakes if they don't have a second person available, nor the special tools to bleed brakes solo.

Neither special tools or a second person is needed to properly bleed the brakes!

Gravity bleed?

I will do that to cut down on the time with a second person, but I still get air bubbles when pressure gets applied.

Neither special tools or a second person is needed to properly bleed the brakes!

Yes!, Yes!, and Yes!

I have been rebuilding, replacing and repairing brakes for more years than I can remember (since the early 1970's) and done it all alone and with no special tools. Sometimes a piece of hose if one is available.

Gravity bleed?

That's one method, but they all have their own intricacies! One example would be upright vs inverted purge bottle, I have found inverted works better and faster.

So teach us about these methods.

I have never heard of them before.

Hard to expect someone to do something they have never even heard of.

I'll have to leave that to the scholars! In my condition, to write a clear comprehensive dissertation would take months, most everything is covered on the internet though!

So teach us about these methods.

I have never heard of them before.

Hard to expect someone to do something they have never even heard of.

See post #9.

It should be a statement not a question.

See the second sentence in post #9.

Yes, I saw that statement. I cannot explain why air remains in your braking system.

I have not tried to ascertain all the air is out of the braking system I bled but I also do not have reason to believe they need further bleeding. They all worked very well for years afterwards.

Yes, I saw that statement. I cannot explain why air remains in your braking system.

Not having the banjo bolts of the front calipers torqued sufficiently will give you air bubbles 'till the cows come home. I just ran into that problem. I had to go ~3+ ft/lbs over factory specs to get the copper washers to seal installing new lines and washers. :dunno:

Not having the banjo bolts of the front calipers torqued sufficiently will give you air bubbles 'till the cows come home. I just ran into that problem. I had to go ~3+ ft/lbs over factory specs to get the copper washers to seal installing new lines and washers. :dunno:

That's usually a by-product of cheap lines, I've seen some pretty nasty looking banjo fittings out there!

That's usually a by-product of cheap lines, I've seen some pretty nasty looking banjo fittings out there!

They are RE lines, the meeting surfaces we're good. Reused the OEM bolts. But yeah, the copper washers did look a little narrower then what I recall them using in the past. But they're sealed up now. If I have to pull them apart sometime down the road I'll get wider washers.

Back