• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping the question in NYC - where at?

Lurch

NAXJA Forum User
I'm planning to ask my girlfriend to marry me when we're in New York City in a few weeks. I'm debating on where to do it - couple spots I am considering are the Brooklyn Bridge, the Highline or the Bow Bridge in Central Park.

Any New Yorkers out there with some suggestions or advice on good locations? Doesn't have to be romantic, just interesting and memorable. I wanted to do the top of the Empire State Building, but after seeing pics of what a cluster the observation deck is I nixed that idea

Maybe email the empire state building and see if they have a special time or something for your situatiuon.

Edit: It was nice knowing ya Lurch ;)

Do dinner after dark at the Liberty House restaurant in Liberty State Park in NJ. Then propose outside overlooking the Manhattan skyline. Best view of the city anywhere!

DUMBO

Best place to propose, plenty of witnesses around, definately be memorable

My ex gf and I personally dragged her sister up to the Empire State Building so her bf could propose to her. Granted it was in December so it was kinda freezing up there but the crowd concealed him till he was ready to pop the question.

Wife, a NY'er says a buggy ride through Central Park.

I say the end of the 14th Street Pier in Hoboken (BEST view of NY you can get). Top of the Empire State Building is good, as is the Brooklyn Bridge. All 3 of my suggestions leave a suitable "exit" if she does not answer the way you anticipate. :)

Congrats, BTW.

My favorite part of the city is the Flatiron district... Cool old buildings and roads that are pretty much original to the place. Although it's getting really built up really quickly now, not as "abandoned" looking at is was 2-3 years ago. Like others said, I'd say the bk bridge or anywhere in bk... You can get steaks at peter lugers before/after too, it's not far of a walk. Depends on how you guys are.. I like avoiding touristy places but I live here so... Yea. The horse rides through the park are cool but they smell and the drivers can be douches.

Buggy ride in central park is a good idea... or maybe do it in the center of time square where those stands are at in front of everyone.

Might not be your style but I thought about on the staten island ferry on a really pretty day.....We went last year and riding on the ferry was one of my favorite parts, because it was quiet and the scenery was beautiful.

On the top of Belvedere castle in central park (its the highest point in central park and you can see almost everything)

top of the empire state building would also be cool if it isn't too crowded.

I wish i would have proposed to my gf when we went to NYC...now I have to think of something to top that!

whatver you decide to do don't do something stupid like put the ring in her food or drink or something, it's a hard sell to get a girl to wear a ring she has to crap out ;) one of my buddies from high school did this and she made him go buy her a new ring because she swallowed it in a glass of champagne :gee:

;) one of my buddies from high school did this and she made him go buy her a new ring because she swallowed it in a glass of champagne :gee:
I would have taken that as a sign its not going to work. Every substance has been on this planet for a loooong time, even a glass of water has been through more animals than i care to think about.

That being said, how about down in the sewers with the Ninja Turtles? Might even find some rings that others swallowed:skull2:

What speaks to you guys? What brought you together? Have you guys been to NYC before or do one of you have ties to NYC?

Nix the Empire State building - long ass line to get in, with a metal detector..

What brought you together?

A lot of alcohol and a dance floor.

There have been a lot of great suggestions, thnaks everyone. Almost too many options, I will have to figure it out. We've both been to New York a couple of times before, but don't have any ties to the city except for a few friends that live there.

I'm thinking BK bridge at dusk then go meet up with friends to toast and celebrate.

find a place that fits your personality.

Dont recommend Empire state building. or any big public area.

sweet little (secret) public park in downtown Manhattan
thats where i'd do it.
Its down close to the Goldman building.

looks out to best part of NYC.. BROOKLYN!
the view is awesome.
park is well maintained.
place is almost always deserted.

have your friends already there.
propose in front of them
AND use your LOUD VOICE.

pretty sure its between 55-57 water street.
Its not marked as a park..
between the buildings, up the stairs or escalators.

Last edited:
Back