• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Popping noise coming from underneath foot

After a few hours of tightening bolts on my Jeep I finally solved the popping issue...for now. It turned out that my steering box was loose at the frame. I would encourage everyone to check the 3 bolts for your steering box as the largest tires that I run are 33's and this was an issue for so long with only occasional wheeling trips. Adding to the popping noise was a loose trackbar bracket from my install a few weeks ago. My steering feels much more precise and responsive now with significantly less dead space. Thanks!

A couple of possibilities, from my experience.

Trackbar noise will be transmitted through the floor and felt at your feet, as you describe. Check everything with your trackbar. I've installed one while the front suspension was drooped, and got this noise because the bar wasn't properly centered on installation. Re-installation with the vehicle on the ground and no more noise. A worn or loose bar (experience with both) will also cause this.

Sway bar bushings will also cause unibody noise.

Good luck.

Geoff

I had the exact symptoms you were describing once. Poping noise while making right hand turns and even sometimes while making left hand turns.

My new double sheer tracbar bracket kept coming loose and sliding around on the frame. It seemed no matter how much I cranked on the bolts it would always end up coming loose and causing the bracket too move.

I threw 1 small bead of weld down one side of it and it doesn't make a sound anymore.

Mine is the contact of the Rusty tierod (bigger than stock) on the JKS disco passanger side. Took a while to find but I can see evidence now.

Damn, mines been clunking too after hitting a huge DIP in a street too fast by accident. Guess I need to order one of those P/S brackets too.

Back