• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Poor braking performance

jeeptec

NAXJA Forum User
2000 xj. 5 inch lift. 4.10 gears. 33 inch tires. Overall poor braking performance. I did the rear grand cherokee disc brake conversation.the Jeep had poor braking when I got it. I've tested the booster per service manual. It is fine as with the master. I did the proportioning valve inner parts swap.im using the same type of pad and rotor material that I had on my 87. My 87 had napa rotors/pads and 95/96 XJ master and booster had fantastic braking.i went into the jeep parts catalog (i work for a dealership and have that access) and found the master is the same on an XJ with drum and a ZJ with disc.

Any chance you're running GM K1500 brake lines up front? Thinking back on my brake issues, my performance went to hell around the time I installed them.

Either way, did you bed the new pads/rotors upon installation?

$325 shipped for new calipers, pads, and rotors from Black Magic. Huge, huge improvement on my rig.

I would consider replacing the calipers.

It's simple physics
Your XJ's brakes were designed for 27" diameter, light-weight wheels and tires.
Now you have replaced them with a much larger and heavier tire, which increases the leverage on the brakes and, with the increased weight of the wheel assembly and the increased weight of the Jeep, overloads what were marginal brakes to begin with.
The stock knuckle's pad holders will flex under heavy braking, causing the side to side motion you may be experiencing during hard high-speed stops

The cure is larger front calipers and rotors, plus pad holders that do not flex, such as WJ front discs or a Vanco conversion kit.
It's what you need to drive safely on the highway.
While rear discs are a good addition, they do not adequeatly address this problem since most on the Jeep's weight is transferred to the front end during hard stops.

Many years ago, when I went to 33"s, my XJ became unsafe at freeway speeds due to the crummy brakes.
I spend the money on the Vanco kit, along with black Magic pads and have been happy since.
There is nothing cheap about this hobby, if you want to do it right.

With 33's, quality brake pads and rotors should be enough, assuming everything is in good working order (which, it may not be, given your comments).
http://www.shop.blackmagicbrakes.co...ers-Rotors-XJ-477-14258021-14258022-67045.htm

Still doesn't deal with the flexing pad holders. I discussed this with Blaine, at Black Magic, the designer of the Vanco kits. He said the stock XJ's knuckles had weak pad holders, which allow the pads to twist, causing uneven braking, when used with larger than stock tires and wheels. The heavier the tire/wheel assembly, the worse the problem becomes.

I guess it's a personal thing but I don't want just adequate brakes on the Jeep, I want them to be strong. Even with the front and rear upgrades, the Jeep's brakes are still nowhere as good as my Subaru's.
Before than Vancos, I ran Centric premium rotors and calipers, along EBC Yellow pads. It was night and day difference, changing to the Vanco setup. YMMV

Swap calipers and keep bleeding the system.

How does the pedal feel? Any leaks maybe?

Go with a performance pad and rotor, and properly BED the brakes.

poor as in soft pedal? hard pedal? or a good feel but very weak stopping power? does it fatigue further after multiple high speed stops?

Low budget: full front kit from Black Magic.

Mid budget: WJ swap and all that entails. Better steering setup as a side effect.

Big budget: Vanco big brake upgrade.

Black Magic stock-replacement parts got my XJ to the point that I'm now comfortable having my friends' kids in the car (on 32's). Prior to that I had reservations about even taking my dog with me.

Back