• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Please help to identify

:laugh3:
I've actually heard that the 8.25 is just about as good as it gets from the factory. I think the reason people like the d44s, is cause there are more locker kits for them, and they're easier to find.
(just as a disclaimer, I THINK this is correct. If someone knows better, please set me straight)

In addition, there are far more gearing options for the D44, unless this has changed recently. Opinions also vary on how much better the 29 spline is versus the 27. There are also mods where you can add a threaded metal plug to replace the stock rubber one, but I just carry a few spares. Anyway, depending on how big a tire you want to run, I'd say that yes, you are better off having a 8.25 versus having a D35. Have fun with your project:)

Cool just for shits and giggles I'll pop the cover off tomorrow and count the splines. Hope I have the 29!!

Cool just for shits and giggles I'll pop the cover off tomorrow and count the splines. Hope I have the 29!!

I'm not sure that you can tell without pulling the axle out...
My LATE 96 has the 29 spl. so like mentioned... so there's a chance it's a 29 spl.

4.56 gears are as deep as you can go... the avle is a C-clip set up... I'm happy with mine on 32s with a power tracs locker...

If you keep it you can find some 29 spl. axles if you don't have them now...

Curt

I'm not sure that you can tell without pulling the axle out...
My LATE 96 has the 29 spl. so like mentioned... so there's a chance it's a 29 spl.

4.56 gears are as deep as you can go... the avle is a C-clip set up... I'm happy with mine on 32s with a power tracs locker...

If you keep it you can find some 29 spl. axles if you don't have them now...

Curt

So If I pull the cover off, I wont be able to tell if its 29 or 27?

So If I pull the cover off, I wont be able to tell if its 29 or 27?

I'm not sure... I'd ask around first... I can't remember why, but we pulled my axle just to be sure... easy to mis-count... can't be seen...

You might get away with pulling a C clip & taking a spider gear (a side one) and counting the splines in the spider... maybe...

Better answered by someone with more experience...

Curt

I've actually heard that the 8.25 is just about as good as it gets from the factory. I think the reason people like the d44s, is cause there are more locker kits for them, and they're easier to find.
(just as a disclaimer, I THINK this is correct. If someone knows better, please set me straight)

People with out D-44's always say that... :sure:

DSC01846.jpg
How do you know an HP vs. LP?
The pinion enters the axle above centerline. If it was a low-pinion D30, the casting would look different and would be relatively flat across the bottom. This one shows a definitive lip behind the 'pumpkin' where the gears are (where the 60-7AF casting is).
Just wanted to show this shot again - beautiful shot of the C8.25 showing the lip around the cover, and the casting on the lower corners. However...WTF is up with that glob o'goo where the breather tube comes out??

Jim www.yuccaman.com

I think that glob is just gunk build up. I'm going to clean it up a bit today.

As mentioned there are many options for a D44. The housing is somewhat beefier than the 8.25. IMHO a set of alloy axles and a beefy diff cover and you have a plenty strong axle in the 8.25 and don't need to upgrade to a 44. It could be argued that there aren't enough options for the 8.25 (such as a c-clip eliminator) but there are options for someone willing to do some looking. The brakes can be upgraded with some slight fabwork. Personally, if I were going to upgrade my 8.25, I would go D60 or Ford 8.8 as I feel it is not enough of an upgrade to put a stock D44 in place of a 8.25. Even an 8.8 would require some mods to make it worth the swap for me.

Back