• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

PLEASE help! Alarm Install...I've searched

azee

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone,

I *really* need some assistance, and I've searched the forums but have not found my answers. Any help would be most appreciated!

PATIENT:
-'89 XJ Limited, came factory keyless. P.O lost the remote, so I have no idea if it actually works/worked.
-Did the Greg Smith power door fix, works great!

PROCEDURE:
-Trying to install AVITAL TORNADO 2 alarm.

PROBLEM #1
-KEYLESS ENTRY.....I've got it installed so far that it physically will arm/disarm/etc, but need help locating which wires to tap into for some functions. Most important, I'm trying to get the keyless function working. I've tried tapping into the white and dk green wires at the drivers side, and the tan and green wires (both before and after the "Greg Smith" relays on the passenger side), but can't get the blasted remote to lock/unlock the doors. I've figured out that green is "unlock".

I've tried wiring up 2 new relays according to both the Avital installers manual and another relay schematic I got from the relay manufacturer for a negative trigger. I can hear/feel the relay click, but it doesn't trigger the locks themselves. Which wires should I be using?? :(

PROBLEM #2
-DOOR TRIGGER.....I can't find the "correct" door trigger wire. I got on www.the12volt.com and downloaded the wiring diagram for the 89 XJ, and traced it to the black w/ white stripe wire at the DS footwell. Tapped into it, and it WILL set off the alarm when I open the DS door, but opening any other door doesn't set off the alarm. Which wire should I be using?

PROBLEM #3
-INTERIOR LIGHT.....It's supposed to be setup with a relay to trigger the interior door light for 30 seconds upon disarm, but of course, my non-electrical mind can't get it to work correctly. Again, is this triggered by the door trigger, or the interior light? I've tried connecting to the door trigger wire as above, and the little light by the DS footwell, but nothing. Again, I can hear/feel the relay click, and then even click 30 seconds later, meaning its trying to do its job. I think I just have the wrong wire. The XJ parrot says....which wire should I be using?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Alan

C'mon people...any help would be appreciated. I find it hard to believe that I'm venturing into uncharted territory. There HAS to be some of you out there who have installed alarms/keyless entry in their 88 or 89 XJ who can provide some much needed help!

Thanks,

Alan

Slow down people! I can't keep track of all these responses! ;)

Okay, for those future people who search and can't find the answers to the questions I posted initially, here are the responses to my own questions:

1- KEYLESS - use the green and white wires at the DS kick panel. Use the "5 wire reverse polarity" wiring schematic provided at www.the12volt.com to see how it should be wired up using (2) 30A relays.

2- DOOR TRIGGER - the black/white wires at the DS kickpanel basically has a total of 3 wires from one side, and 2 wires on the other side of the connector. the 3 wire side has 2 wires merging together, and the 3rd wire is by itself. you need to tap into BOTH wires on the 2 wire side. this allows the alarm to trigger via any door. its a negative trigger.

3- INTERIOR LIGHT - using the same connector as above, the interior light needs to be wired up using a 30A relay, and must tap into the black/white wire at the 2 wire side that was merged from the (2) black/white wires from the 3 wire side of the connector. i hope that cryptic description makes sense.

anyways, i doubt anyone will reply to this, but hopefully it helps someone in the future......

alan

Grasshopper,
Your journey has made you wise. Now, you must pass on that knowledge.

Oh! You did. Thanks for sharing

Honestly, I read your initial post and, without the correct FSM and alarm manual available it's a pain in the butt trying to explain/direct.

Glad you got it going.

Back