• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Piece of scrap tubing...

5-90

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone got a piece of scrap metal tubing laying about? I need to to be 4-6" long, and have an outside diameter of 0.750" +/- 0.010".

I don't care what metal it is, but I do need it to be metal - I'm using it to "punch" holes in foam to make a padded box, so I'm going to heat it in a torch (although, if it's steel, I may just hone one and and use it as a punch that way.)

Vendors want me to buy at least a foot (which is more than I need,) and I'd get clobbered on P&P - but if someone has a scrap bit that they could send me First Class, I could cover your nut for postage and you'd get rid of something you'd otherwise be stuck with...

Anyone? (NB: If you have scrap offcuts 4-6" long in various diameters, let me know - I may need other sizes for other projects...)

goddamn cheapskate, $3.49?

$3.49 each foot - six bucks to ship it.

There's enough fabricators here that I figured I could track some some scrap/offcuts - I don't end up with more than I need, and probably pay less for it all up than I would for a foot of tube.

If I was doing a project where it was important, I'd buy it from a mill. I'm punching holes in plastic foam - how much do I need? Not much - I'm working with 2" thick foam, so 4-6" long is probably overkill.

Good grief! That should be a 10' stick price. I'd hate to see your wire prices out there.

Welcome to California - cost of living is stupid. Shipping costs from elsewhere typically make up for it (but not always. For what I'd pay for ten feet of 4AWG locally, I get 25 feet shipped from out-of-state. Most other materials costs can be similar, but metals tend to be expensive to ship. You'd think I was in Guam...)

If I went to a yard and told them I only wanted four-inch pieces, they'd look at me funny, scratch a bit, and charge me for a foot anyhow. And then I'd have to clean up sloppy cuts.

Local steel supply place I go to has scrap bins.

Can get stuff pretty cheap there. Nothing like that around you?

I've picked up really short drops of random sizes for cheap money.

If I wasn't gonna spend more than the total you listed on shipping, I think I have some around.

I try to keep a stick or five of most emt and iron/copper pipe around "just in case I need it."

I was gonna send a piece of tubing out west, but i mic'd it, and it measured .762 with a micrometer traceable to NIST, so i figured it would have resulted in a non-conformance issue, not in compliance with ISO standards, so i have the drop-off quarantined in a redtag area awaiting an audit to see if it can be realeased as part of an inter-departmental kaizen excercize.

None of you will inderstand what i am talking about, but this is old hat for 5-90

I was gonna send a piece of tubing out west, but i mic'd it, and it measured .762 with a micrometer traceable to NIST, so i figured it would have resulted in a non-conformance issue, not in compliance with ISO standards, so i have the drop-off quarantined in a redtag area awaiting an audit to see if it can be realeased as part of an inter-departmental kaizen excercize.

None of you will inderstand what i am talking about, but this is old hat for 5-90

Smartass... ;)

XXXX kaizen and all that other feel-good buzzword laden bullshit.

last time we got told to do that, I ended up with stickers reading "crumbs from breakfast go here", "feet go here", and "crumbs from lunch go here" on my desk. Boss thought it was funny but made me remove them before the "kaizen champion" came to check up on our handiwork.

Back