• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Picking up a 1989 XJ Limited this saturday...

So if it has abs, rip it out. Well that's easy as I personally don't like abs. Maybe there is a 44 under there? If not the 35 won't be under there for too long.

a man (and his Jeep) must know their limitations-- heck, it can't be THAT bad-- it's lasted 143,000 miles. A D35 is adequate for daily use for a long time as long as you understand that you can't abuse it and expect it to last.

a man (and his Jeep) must know their limitations-- heck, it can't be THAT bad-- it's lasted 143,000 miles. A D35 is adequate for daily use for a long time as long as you understand that you can't abuse it and expect it to last.
Quite true. I never had a jeep with a d35. My current xj has a nice 8.25 :)

This is how you break a D35..She took a bounce and came down on 1 rear tire..POP goes the spyders..33's with 12 lbs of air..
OHchit.jpg

Freaking crap. Now I'm torn between 2 Cherokees. This kid from 2 hours away in nj is offering me a trade for his 91 xj. No problems with it and I can drive it home no problem. He wanted 1500 but would take a straight up trade. pics:

8SPU0.jpg

jXwXk.jpg

qhBiO.jpg

aCgyA.jpg

oZbGj.jpg

I'm partial to the Renix-- they seem to have thicker body panels (at least the roof) and in my experience, are much more solidly assembled. The '91 looks like a low level "SE" model with more miles on it.

Yeah the sport looks way more bare than the limited. Balance between h.o and non h.o. I didn't really get to drive fast with the 89 being I drove it around a firestation. I'd have to find a way to swap jeeps with this 2 hour trip (burgundy sport) compared to the simpler 45 minute drive for the limited.

Trans seal leaks on my xj that's why I can't go too far.
slfslkdjfo

I'm probably going to stick with the 89 renix. I like the color and the fact it's a fully loaded limited. Plus 40k less miles and less of a trip for me.

I'm pissed. I got out of a long day of work and called the lady. She said her boyfriend looked over the xj today and determined (some how) that it needs a head gasket. And that he will do it by this weekend. I don't know what to do. This kid wants to buy my xj today.

Maybe I'll just get that burgundy 91

My vote is keep what you got and fix it, actually.

I have to say your wrong on this..My 89 has the factory towing package with 373 gears in it..I had a D35..I think my build date was like 3/1989..I am the second owner..

You are correct, I misstyped. What I meant so say was that the Dana 44 was only available on XJs with the towing package from 1987-1989, but not every XJ with the towing package had the 44. As you know some with the towing package XJs did not have the Dana 44 but had 3.73 gearing.

What mods have you done?

Missed this question earlier. My XJ came with 8" springs, long arms, 6" leafs with 2" blocks, 35" Cooper Discoverer STT tires, and custom lights and bumpers. Below is a list of mods I have done or that are in progress.

Scrapped D35 and put in a D44
Spooled rear end
Removed sway bars
Custom fabbed rock sliders
New winch
New heavy duty track bar
New shocks
New motor mounts
Longer brake lines
CB radio
On board air AC conversion
Currie HD steering
Lock right locker for the front
Steering Brace

I have also replaced most of the gaskets and seals and fixed some cosmetic damage and trail carnage. Pretty much the only thing left on my list of things I want to do is re-gear and get some chromies for my D30.

Good luck with your purchasing decision. If you want to do any of the mods I have done and have any questions, just shoot me a message.

Made it home safe. 2 hour drive home. Here are the problems

1. Fuel gauge don't work
2. Fuel pump wines
3. Speedometer/Odometer dont work
4. The rear axle (d35) would jerk for a second at random times. Especially when hitting bumps. I floored it and it jerked pretty bad. So bad the tachometer needle even jerked.

Other than that. New injectors, shocks, muffler, water pump and something else.

Back