• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phase III

What locker would you choose?

• Powertrax - cause it's fast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
[FONT=&quot]Since I've been getting ready for the Crawl, I have come to realize that I still would like to do a few more modifications to my XJ. Of course there is the general maintenance stuff that I need to get caught up on such as new rear rotors and pads for the 8.8, fluid changes, and such.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One of the bigger items I’ve been thinking about is upgrading my rear differential carrier. I have a 8.8 Explorer axle with 4.10 gears and an open carrier. I’d like a locker. The problem is that I can only find one company that makes a lunchbox locker for a Ford 8.8 LS carrier, a Powertrax. They run anywhere from $435 to $525. Why are they so stinkin' expensive for just a lunchbox locker? I like this option since it is easy and fast but the cost makes it hard to justify.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So this leads me to a decision. If I'm going to spend say $500 on a lunchbox, why not just get a full case Detroit for a few bucks more? For a few more dollars, I could get an E-Locker. I know what you're thinking, "but Ed, you have to set up gears and that will run more!" I'm aware of this and expect this due to the rear diff possible needing a new gear set. My 8.8 had bad bearings when I got it. They were replaced but since the gears were worn in a weird way, they make some noise. I have a good set of Ford 4.10 gears out of another 8.8, so I have gears covered.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of course, I could regear the rear while in there but then the front will need to be done and boom, I'm outta control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I'm going to post a poll just for fun (and since we haven't had one in a long time) with some options of what I'm toying with doing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have any questions just ask and I'll explain my reasoning why certain lockers are not in the poll. Or if you think I'm missing the boat, plead your case.
[/FONT]

Last edited:
Lots of people in Knoxville are running the grizzly lockers with great success. A strong axle is only as good as the case inside of it, as evidenced by Sam's super Dana 30 experiment. If you're planning on spending that much on a lunchbox you might as well just step into the full case locker. Selectable steps up a price point, I haven't had much need for selectable lockers where I live. Nothing sees more than 30 minutes road time to a trail, and that's if I drive it at all

Swap to open carrier(junk yard), reset gear(new?or old) and go Aussie. That's what I did, except my gears were fine. Should be cheaper that way. My 8.8 gets dd duty and some decent beatings and is fine.

[FONT=&quot]One of the bigger items I’ve been thinking about is upgrading my rear differential carrier. I have a 8.8 Explorer axle with 4.10 gears and an open carrier. I’d like a locker. The problem is that I can only find one company that makes a lunchbox locker for a Ford 8.8 LS carrier, a Powertrax. They run anywhere from $435 to $525. Why are they so stinkin' expensive for just a lunchbox locker? I like this option since it is easy and fast but the cost makes it hard to justify.[/FONT]

Aussie makes one. I have an Aussie in the front, and would get the same for the rear, if and when it was time to upgrade.

http://www.aussielocker.com/index.php/lockers/aussie-locker-xd-48831.html

I'm pretty sure that is for a open differential case, not the LS case I have. If I had an open case, I would have a ton of cheap options.

Sorry Ed, I think I got confused in your first post when I read that "open carrier" part.

Ooops. I guess I need to proofread better. I can't edit it now (being BOD was nice for it's editing powers).

My 8.8 has a limited slip carrier.

We checked the gear fluid in it today and while is does whine a bit, the gears looked good as did everything inside. Fluid looked good for 3 years of wheeling on it. I'd sure like a locker before the Crawl.........hmmmmmm.

For what it's worth I had a 8.8 Detroit in my 01. It was great once you learned how it handled differently. It tended to engage hard when accelerating out of a corner or on ramp, but once I got used to it it was fine.

If you're going to have to pull a jy open carrier and set up gears anyway you may as well go for a full case locker.

Lots of people in Knoxville are running the grizzly lockers with great success. A strong axle is only as good as the case inside of it, as evidenced by Sam's super Dana 30 experiment. If you're planning on spending that much on a lunchbox you might as well just step into the full case locker. Selectable steps up a price point, I haven't had much need for selectable lockers where I live. Nothing sees more than 30 minutes road time to a trail, and that's if I drive it at all

I know several people who are happy with their Grizzlys. Having an LSD in the rocks hasnt ever impressed me, too bad you don't have the open carrier. You could just toss in a Lokka.

I know several people who are happy with their Grizzlys. Having an LSD in the rocks hasnt ever impressed me, too bad you don't have the open carrier. You could just toss in a Lokka.

Yeah, tell me about it. An open case would make this a no-brainer. I'd go Cottontails route and toss in an Aussie and roll on.

I do drive my rig to and from the trail so having a selectable would be nice.

I would go arb

Have not been impressed with the ford 9" grizzly I put in the front, with it needing to be returned to the mfr within a year of service.

Vanimal had a hell of a time.getting Eaton to take care of the issue he had with his e locker.

I broke the switch for my arb at Moab. Called them when I got home, and received q new switch free of charge within two weeks.

I went with an arb in my 8.8, because it is a manual trans, and I tow with it. Have been very happy so far

You could rebuild the 8.8 LS clutch pack and use an additional old clutch in the pack and get a much tighter ls. Andy at Iron man did this and had some good results out of it. Just a thought.

You could rebuild the 8.8 LS clutch pack and use an additional old clutch in the pack and get a much tighter ls. Andy at Iron man did this and had some good results out of it. Just a thought.

I thought about this. It is cheap way to go but most articles I read say that no matter how tight you stack it, it's still an LS. They also said it doesn't last long term.

I wonder what Any did to his/what parts he used? That may be the difference?

For what it's worth I had a 8.8 Detroit in my 01. It was great once you learned how it handled differently. It tended to engage hard when accelerating out of a corner or on ramp, but once I got used to it it was fine.

If you're going to have to pull a jy open carrier and set up gears anyway you may as well go for a full case locker.

Can you elaborate on this? I've had Detroit E-Z Lockers front and rear in a Scout before. Will the full case Detroit be any different? I would think that they would operate the same but then again, I've never had a full case locker.

The only complaint I have with my Detroit in the 8.8 is that when I put the Jeep in park it has a tendency to roll forward about a foot before it stops.

Can you elaborate on this? I've had Detroit E-Z Lockers front and rear in a Scout before. Will the full case Detroit be any different? I would think that they would operate the same but then again, I've never had a full case locker.

Most things I've read on the net and in articles complain that the stock 8.8 carrier is a bit on the weak side when used with large tires (35"+). I've seen a couple of pictures of broken carriers over on Pirate. I have no first hand experience about that other than my last XJ was on 35's and had an Easy Locker in the 8.8, but I'm not a throttle jockey so my stuff usually lasts (except for rims lol). Anyway, it's certainly something worth investigating before you make a purchase either way.

Back