• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Phase III

What locker would you choose?

• Powertrax - cause it's fast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Can you elaborate on this? I've had Detroit E-Z Lockers front and rear in a Scout before. Will the full case Detroit be any different? I would think that they would operate the same but then again, I've never had a full case locker.

It just seemed to engage hard if you got on the throttle when turning. If you eased into it, no problem. It wasn't the Detriot SoftLocker that they have now, which engages smoother IIRC.

The full case Detroit in my 8.25" is seamless. I never even notice it's in there except for tight turns in parking lots when it chirps the tires. That being said, the Detroit in my old M1008 w/14 bolt...not so much. For the most part it was pretty transparent, but every once in a while when I would let off the throttle and begin to make a sharp turn into my neighborhood is would release with a loud bang and the truck would feel like it lurched sideways a little. It scared the crap out of me the first few times it happened, but everyone on Steel Soldiers said "Yeah, they do that now and then" so I never worried about it again and just learned to live with it.

The full case Detroit in my 8.25" is seamless. I never even notice it's in there except for tight turns in parking lots when it chirps the tires. That being said, the Detroit in my old M1008 w/14 bolt...not so much. For the most part it was pretty transparent, but every once in a while when I would let off the throttle and begin to make a sharp turn into my neighborhood is would release with a loud bang and the truck would feel like it lurched sideways a little. It scared the crap out of me the first few times it happened, but everyone on Steel Soldiers said "Yeah, they do that now and then" so I never worried about it again and just learned to live with it.

This.

I installed that particular Detriot back in 2004ish.

It sounds like the Detroit will at least act like the lockers I've had in the past. It should be better with the auto trans. I'd say all the Detroits sold now are the softlocker version so maybe they won't have the harsh unloading that the older units had.

Right now there is a rebate on the Detroit lockers that make them cheaper than the Grizzly, so it looks like the direction I will be looking.

I sure wish I had a locker before the Crawl but I'd say a full case Detroit would be so much stronger and worth the wait.

i have the softlocker version and it will unload on a rare occasion. it has probably happened 10-15 times in the 7 years i have had it.

I think I've made up my mind. Who wants to install a locker before the Crawl?

I haven't ordered yet but it looks like the Detroit will be my choice. Now I'm just shopping to make sure I can get a good deal on it.

I bought a detroit from here recently. A NAXJA member runs/works at this place. Can't remember his s/n though.

http://stores.dmrtransmission.com/d30-lockers/

What gears do you have now? I can check to see if I can get em any cheaper through a friend.

Edit: Eh, just checked... looks like the best price I can find is $544.99 plus a rebate of "up to $70" from 4wheelparts.

Last edited:
8.8 Detroit?

The best price I found was $664.99 - $60 = $604.99 from Summit. Free shipping. No sales tax.

4WP is $659.99 - $60 = $599.99. They have free shipping but charge me sales tax since there is a store in Nashville, TN.

4WP $70 rebate isn't what it seams. If you look at the actual Eaton rebate form, it breaks down the rebates based on price.

$500-$599.99 is $50
$600-$699.99 is $60
$700 - up is $70

Ah, no. For some reason I was thinking you were looking at a locker for the Dana 30.

You had my hopes up!

The link you provided doesn't show an 8.8 axle option. I was hoping they would.

You had my hopes up!

The link you provided doesn't show an 8.8 axle option. I was hoping they would.

I sent him a message on FB. We'll see what he says but I wouldn't count on it. Seems like the big box stores are getting the best cost price from the supplier.

You'd think that since I work for Eaton I'd be able to get a decent price on a locker but nooooo... I get to pay full price like everyone else.

Just an update. I picked up a PowerTrax locker for my LS 8.8. Since I have to replace the outer axle bearings and seals, I figured now was the time to put one in. It was too good of a deal to pass up. It should be here either Friday or Tuesday.

where was said deal found? i need to pick one up as well....

Not from any standard source. I have a guy who knows a guy......

[FONT=&quot]Since I've been getting ready for the Crawl, I have come to realize that I still would like to do a few more modifications to my XJ. Of course there is the general maintenance stuff that I need to get caught up on such as new rear rotors and pads for the 8.8, fluid changes, and such.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]One of the bigger items I’ve been thinking about is upgrading my rear differential carrier. I have a 8.8 Explorer axle with 4.10 gears and an open carrier. I’d like a locker. The problem is that I can only find one company that makes a lunchbox locker for a Ford 8.8 LS carrier, a Powertrax. They run anywhere from $435 to $525. Why are they so stinkin' expensive for just a lunchbox locker? I like this option since it is easy and fast but the cost makes it hard to justify.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So this leads me to a decision. If I'm going to spend say $500 on a lunchbox, why not just get a full case Detroit for a few bucks more? For a few more dollars, I could get an E-Locker. I know what you're thinking, "but Ed, you have to set up gears and that will run more!" I'm aware of this and expect this due to the rear diff possible needing a new gear set. My 8.8 had bad bearings when I got it. They were replaced but since the gears were worn in a weird way, they make some noise. I have a good set of Ford 4.10 gears out of another 8.8, so I have gears covered.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Of course, I could regear the rear while in there but then the front will need to be done and boom, I'm outta control.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]So I'm going to post a poll just for fun (and since we haven't had one in a long time) with some options of what I'm toying with doing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you have any questions just ask and I'll explain my reasoning why certain lockers are not in the poll. Or if you think I'm missing the boat, plead your case.
[/FONT]

Well, the reason for the cost, is they charge what the market can/will bear.

For the average person, who doesn't have the tools or knowledge to install a detroit or other full case locker, the lunchbox is a deal. And the people who make them know what it costs to do this, so they charge what they can. Simple economics.

And while the detroit may only be a few bucks more for the locker itself, you still have to pay 200 - 500 per axle just to get it installed and set up, so now the detroit cost has jumped to over 1000 bucks, so how is it "only a few bucks more "?

And when I put the lunchbox lockers in my vehicles (have had several of them now) I was done and wheeling again within an hr........ain't gonna happen with a full case locker.

Back