• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1694 Code - No Fuel, No Start, No Nothing

If you mean the relatively heavy gauge wire going from the batt to the power distribution center under the hood on the passenger side it looks fine but I'll take it off and clean it.

If you mean the relatively heavy gauge wire going from the batt to the power distribution center under the hood on the passenger side it looks fine but I'll take it off and clean it.

yup thats the one

So I caved and started throwing money at the problem. Got a new CPS and used ECM. Both are non-returnable (unless they're bad) so if they don't fix the problem, at least I'll have some spares!

So I caved and started throwing money at the problem. Got a new CPS and used ECM. Both are non-returnable (unless they're bad) so if they don't fix the problem, at least I'll have some spares!

Replace the cps before you put a new ecm in

New CPS - no change. Still no fuel and the fuel/volt meter gauges are still inoperable.

Checked for spark - none.

Going to check fuel pump operation in a bit. I also should be receiving my ECM today (crossing fingers).

Literally got the ECM minutes after writing that last post. New ECM in - gauges are back, truck has spark, but still no fuel. Didn't clear codes before I put the new ECM in and a Check Engine light came on immediately. Read the codes and they were P0700 and P1694. Cleared them and tried to start the truck and no new codes have cropped up.

Looks to be a fuel pump issue now - going to test to see if it's any good. Fuel gauge shows 3/4 tank on this thing....not going to be fun to drain with a busted fuel pump...

Fuel tank out - fuel pump out and it's NO good. The picture below should tell the story...

CIMG1695.jpg

geeze thats pretty bad lol. whats the story behind this jeep? did it sink at the bottom of the ocean and you found it or what?? lol

Sat for approx four or five years. Gas is pretty stale. Just drained it into a container and picked up a new fuel pump and strainers. Should have it running in a couple hours. It's a salvage title vehicle so I'm going to use it as a donor for my comanche project.

Sat for approx four or five years. Gas is pretty stale. Just drained it into a container and picked up a new fuel pump and strainers. Should have it running in a couple hours. It's a salvage title vehicle so I'm going to use it as a donor for my comanche project.

gotcha, well glad to hear it will be running!

New fuel pump in - 5 gallons of fresh fuel and it started right up.

Here is my hypothesis on what may have happened. The PO told me the Jeep ran great and he would drive it around his block every now and again to make sure everything was good before he took it to get inspected at motor vehicles. This car was a theft recovery and has a salvage title. I didn't want to mention that in my original post because I knew people would have zeroed in on that detail and told me the wiring was bad because it had been cut, spliced, hot-wired, etc. The wiring is fine and the one wire that was cut during the theft has been repaired.

So before the PO took the Jeep to the scheduled inspection to get it recertified with the state, he threw in a new battery because the old one wasn't holding a charge. I suspect he installed the battery with the key on and the power surge did something to the ECM because the Jeep wouldn't start anymore after that. Originally, I thought it had blown the #11 fuse, but that wasn't the case.

From what I can tell from the paperwork I was given, this happened around December of '03 and January of '04. I believe the Jeep sat for about six years and didn't move. The tank had about 15 gallons of fuel in it and every last drop was stale - very stale. This is what caused the fuel pump to get so trashed. But, here she is, six year later, with a used $75 ECM and a new $120 fuel pump and is back in business.

thats good to hear man! I just brought my 2nd junk yard bought xj back to life myself. It's a great feeling of accomplishment isnt it!

Back