• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P1491....... Help me

Newbiejeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I have done searches and attempted to go about fixing the problem. I blew a fuse for the radio and the whole dash board.....speedo, rpm gauge, etc. I replaced the fuse in the inside and replaced a 15amp fuse in the power box in the engine compartment. So the check engine light is on and I did a code reading and it was P1491 which said secondary switch solenoid ciruit malfunction. What in the world is this?? I replaced my cooling fan relay because I noticed the aux fan was not turning on.....but the temp is still staying normal. With the new relay, the fan still doesn't turn on. Is there a fuse some where else along the wiring for the cooling fan relay that I am missing? I am not sure what to do.....I don't want to take it to the dealership and pay BIG $$$$ for something I can fix myself for cheaper.

If the temp is stayinf in the normal range and it is not hot outside the aux fan should not come on. You can try applying power directly the fan to make sure it is working. The code that you got is for the aux fan relay. Erase the code and see if it comes back. If no code comes back then you have nothing to worry about as long as the fan comes on when you aplly direct power. If the code comes back check the terminals inside the realy box and make sure there is no corrosion on them. Mine had some corroded terminals and it took me a while to figure out that was the problem I was having with my relays before.

The fan works.....turns out that my manual that came with the jeep is incorrect with the fuses. It said fuse #10 was open but I put a 15A in that spot and the fan will turn on! The only thing is the light is still on......I went and had the codes read again and it came up showing: P1388, P0118, P0645, P1491 again, P0443 and P0700. Why would more codes show up this time? I am not sure what is going on. I think I am just going to go take it to a professional to have them look at it and fix the problem.

Ok problem solved!!! I left that 15A in the #10 slot and everything seem to run ok.......was on my way to the dealership to get problem fixed and on the way there I stopped to drop some movies off. When I started the jeep back up the check engine light went away. So all is good now and I hope it doesn't come back on. If anyone else has a 99 cherokee check your manual and see if it says slot #10 is open like mine did. I don't think it is supposed to be open because the fuse I put in there is part of the aux fan.

ok i had this exact same problem with that code just yesterday i actually dont remember if there was a 15a fuse in number ten but i put one and it worked!!!and yeah it also says open on mine when it was supposed to be a 15a

Back