• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OX locker or detroit locker D44

Dirt Surfer said:
I have to admit that I don't have a lot of experience. It seems to me that if some people want something, they learn to live with the drawbacks. While the others that get what they want love it. A trailer rig doesn't have to deal with the street, but why go a route that you know will compromise your steering in tight spots. The ARB guys just turn them off when not needed. I watched my friend in his CJ get pushed around by his ARB up front till he turned it off.
I put a OX in back cause it is my DD. Love it! It's a spool when it is on, then it's off. I set the cable up per instructions. Went to a field, made one adjustment. It has worked flawlesly since. What is everyone's heart ache with cable adjustment? I applied RTV to the cable when I instaled it, no leaks. I looked at the locking ring when I got it, and then talked to OX. The locking teeth are ramped. When you engage, if the ring is not fully in (read the cable not adjusted right), the teeth will pull the ring in to full lock. Ox told me that earlier versions had straight teeth, and cable adjustment was critical. (The redesign was 4 years ago) Mine locks and unlocks perfectly, instantly, everytime.
With the parts you are talking about, money isn't a object. There is no arguing a Detroit. I'm not trying to say that a Detroit would be a bad choice, but I bet if you got a OX, you would love it.

You bring up a good point about the ability to turn it on and off but reason I did not go with a selecteable personally was because I saw it as a hassle. Imagine you're in a spot on the trail where you have to keep turning it on and off to make the turns. At one point or another it's going to get old. The big thing is that the Detroit will release (or at least it should :D ) when you're turning while the ARB while engaged will be a spool while it's engaged.

Kejtar said:
You bring up a good point about the ability to turn it on and off but reason I did not go with a selecteable personally was because I saw it as a hassle. Imagine you're in a spot on the trail where you have to keep turning it on and off to make the turns. At one point or another it's going to get old. The big thing is that the Detroit will release (or at least it should :D ) when you're turning while the ARB while engaged will be a spool while it's engaged.

I'm kind of a gear junkie. Got to have the right stuff. When I got a XJ I had no idea what I was getting myself into. It has been completely maddening trying to figure out what was going to be the right equipment for me. Everything has pros and con. I do know that my friend was getting pushed around because he had a "spool" up front until he turned it off. I like the selectability, but when it is on, then you have to get into the whole "which is better up front, spool or locker debate" Maddening, completly maddening! What sick @$$ thought this stuff up!

Why is it a bad idea to put a Detroit in an XJ with a manual transmission? I had this explained to me once before, but still don't get it. Something to do with the slop during shifts? I had been planning to put a Detroit in my new D44 when I regeared, but now that's not sounding like a good idea (I have an AX-15).

Would a Detroit be okay in my front axle?

I think the reason they think it is a bad idea to put a detroit locker with a manual is the shock load produced by the manual. The torque load on an automatic is smoother than with a manual. They are probably worried about breakage with the manual. This would be true for any locker that is engaged.

Last edited:
correct me if im wrong but isn't the design of an ox locker stronger than the design of a detroit???

If this was me, I would do OX's all the way. Its a proven system and they work flawlessly. The only time I've ever had my ox fail on me was my stupid fault when i routed the cable wrong and my pinion chewed through the cable.
Now i was able to make it so that i could still have a locked front end so i could wheel the rest of the day and just disengage the hubs when i didn't want the front end locked. If that was an arb, you wouldn't be able to.

I always perfer a selectable over a non. Also like crash has said, if you ever brake that detroit you will have some bad locker wrap and will probably snap your axles i've seen it happen.

It really comes down to personal choice. I like the selectability of the OX plus you can't people the price for what you get. If you shop around, (or drop me a pm) the ox locker with the cable can be had for just over 700 dollars. Compare that to a detroit at something like 550, and i think its a no brainer to spend the little bit of extra money and have the selectability.

Matt

Here's my beef with selectables.... because I hear this every time I'm on the trail...
"engage your front end.... disengage your front end..." over and over.
I'm a gaget kind of person too but on the trail I live by the KISS rule... Keep It Simple Stupid...
I've followed ARB'ed rigs with my detroit and no-slip and when I build a bigger front axle... Yup Detroit. If you spend to much time thinking about driving then you forget how to drive.
From an installers point of view, I do like installing the ARB's which are easier to install than most other lockers.
I'm not saying that a detroit is better than an ARB. in some cases an ARB is better than a detroit. that whole thing is still open for a debate. but for the guys that just want to drive and conquer without remembering to lock and unlock there locker. Detroit is the only way to go.
And for those that do want a selectable. another reason against the OX is what is physically required to engage and disengage it. first off mounting in a super convienent way that doesn't impede on ocupants is one issue. then when you want to use it you have to reach it and pull and lock and pull and unlock. and if you locked the screw handle down to keep it from locking if you bump it then you have to unscrew it to use it. So the 3 seconds it takes to operate is usually three seconds that your looking down and not moving, or worse looking down and moving and not looking where your going. Just a possibility.
VS an ARB or Eaton is literally a flip of a switch. The arb you have to make sure that the compressor is on (switch 1) and the rear is engaged (switch 2) before you can engage switch 3 for the front. but its usually in a convienent spot within arms reach. The Eaton is even better, 1 switch for each locker. you want it on, flip a switch thats it.
They are all strong units and they all can be broken. I justfind more points against the OX than any other.

Rawbrown said:
And for those that do want a selectable. another reason against the OX is what is physically required to engage and disengage it. first off mounting in a super convienent way that doesn't impede on ocupants is one issue. then when you want to use it you have to reach it and pull and lock and pull and unlock. and if you locked the screw handle down to keep it from locking if you bump it then you have to unscrew it to use it. So the 3 seconds it takes to operate is usually three seconds that your looking down and not moving, or worse looking down and moving and not looking where your going. Just a possibility. I just find more points against the OX than any other.

Yes I know who I am talking to. You have helped me on some things and I appreciate it. But... You can't be serious. You believe what it takes to physically engage and disengage to be a point agaist the Ox??? I've spent probably 200 hours on my recent build. I have to put gas in my XJ. I have to load my XJ with tools and parts. I have to disconect my sway bars. I have to air down my tires. Sometimes I have to use my brake and my gas at the same time. Some times I have to use another cable operated device called an emergency brake. From time to time I have to get out and look at the situation. Every now and then I have to pick up a rock and place it. And now you tell me that I have to move a lever... Oh for the love of God I can't handle any more!!! If I had a manual tranny I wouldn't even leave my driveway. I can not believe this is your whole argument against an Ox, or even a small part of it. But maybe that explaines why I have been so tired lately??? Seriously... come on!

Last edited:
Dirt Surfer said:
Yes I know who I am talking to. You have helped me on some things and I appreciate it. But... You can't be serious. You believe what it takes to physically engage and disengage to be a point agaist the Ox??? I've spent probably 200 hours on my recent build. I have to put gas in my XJ. I have to load my XJ with tools and parts. I have to disconect my sway bars. I have to air down my tires. Sometimes I have to use my brake and my gas at the same time. Some times I have to use another cable operated device called an emergency brake. From time to time I have to get out and look at the situation. Every now and then I have to pick up a rock and place it. And now you tell me that I have to move a lever... Oh for the love of God I can't handle any more!!! If I had a manual tranny I wouldn't even leave my driveway. I can not believe this is your whole argument against an Ox, or even a small part of it. But maybe that explaines why I have been so tired lately??? Seriously... come on!
huh? I'm sorry but you're not making any sense..... And people lay off the manual transmission: I have detroits front and rear and manual transmission and while I do not live in ice/snow area I have not had any problems driving my rig into the mountains to go skiing. Granted I drive extra carefully but then again in conditions that are out of ordinary for me I drive extra careful anyways.

Three seconds to operate a lever might matter to a F-16 pilot being shot at, but I hardly see the relavence to me wheeling. Also, I am a very coordinated monkey. I can move my lever in 2.3 seconds! I'll shut up now. No disrespect intended.

monkey.jpg

monkey.jpg

:D :D

I have a lot of reasons why I don't like Ox lockers. But yes I decided to pull something else out of my hat. The most common locker I know of in competition is the ARB but even those can bind and not unlock. Now I know that locking and unlocking any locker takes time.
some other reasons why I don't like em... Take the Dana 35 OX locker. in order to install the ring gear you have to disassemble half of the locker.
of course thats just the 35. carrier shim location, cable routing, lever mounting, cost.... convienence of use is yes on the list. Just remember next time your on the trail and you hear the words shouted at you, "unlock your front"...
I told you so...party1:
Dirt Surfer said:
Three seconds to operate a lever might matter to a F-16 pilot being shot at, but I hardly see the relavence to me wheeling. Also, I am a very coordinated monkey. I can move my lever in 2.3 seconds! I'll shut up now. No disrespect intended.

Rockken said:
I think the reason they think it is a bad idea to put a detroit locker with a manual is the shock load produced by the manual. The torque load on an automatic is smoother than with a manual. They are probably worried about breakage with the manual. This would be true for any locker that is engaged.

Half right - the torque load is smoother on an automatic. But breakage isn't the reason to be careful with a Detroit and manual tranny.

The detroits tend to load up when you accelerate(moreso with a manual), and they're a little unpredictable when they unload.

Is it bad? No, you'll learn to live with it. Would I drive my rig on the highway in the Pennsylvania winters? Absolutely not.

Kejtar said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

of course thats just the 35. carrier shim location, cable routing, lever mounting, cost.... convienence of use is yes on the list. Just remember next time your on the trail and you hear the words shouted at you, "unlock your front"...
I told you so...

OK, fair enough. When I put a Ox in the Waggy 44 that is going up front, I'll do just that. I don't see why I would put a ARB in since I don't have one in back. The only other one I would check out is the Eaton. They are supposedly redesigning it. I wanted to put in a Electrac, but Eaton talked me out of it. Now that they have bought Tractech, they might discontinue it since they have their E-locker. For what I want out of my XJ, and how I want to use it, I will be putting a selectable up front. There is another e-pinion to throw on the pile. Mine is admittedly pretty light.

Last edited:
I'll be honest. I love the eatons. very clean design, easy to isntall. no adjustment, functions well. goofy switch but thats ok, it still works. (1" round push on push off).
Dirt Surfer said:
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

OK, fair enough. When I put a Ox in the Waggy 44 that is going up front, I'll do just that. I don't see why I would put a ARB in since I don't have one in back. The only other one I would check out is the Eaton. They are supposedly redesigning it. I wanted to put in a Electrac, but Eaton talked me out of it. Now that they have bought Tractech, they might discontinue it since they have their E-locker. For what I want out of my XJ, and how I want to use it, I will be putting a selectable up front. There is another e-pinion to throw on the pile. Mine is admittedly pretty light.

Kejtar said:
And people lay off the manual transmission: I have detroits front and rear and manual transmission and while I do not live in ice/snow area I have not had any problems driving my rig into the mountains to go skiing. Granted I drive extra carefully but then again in conditions that are out of ordinary for me I drive extra careful anyways.

I don't think you've driven in serious winter conditions, on icy off camber roads enough to know what you are talking about. It is very scary with a Detroit and a manual, you will change lanes when you let off the throttle.

Back