• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK WJ knuckle swap. What could go wrong?

FK and ORW misalignment spacers seem to hold up fine.

I had a long talk with FK about this very problem not very long ago, and they swore up and done their spacers would hold if I bothered to pay the premium for them.

But I'm in agreement on not doing 5/8 for the same reason.

I crushed a set of FK spacers with a 5/8" bolt the night before we prepped the poorboys car for glen helen.

I'm not saying that there aren't spacers out there that can hold up, but 9/16" is just easier.

normal_image~12.jpeg

Cutting the linkage. 1.5" x .250 wall DOM.

normal_image~13.jpeg

How much threads do you leave for adjustments? This seems like maybe not enough although the axle is centered right here and the springs are compressed. .

You want as little thread as possible if its already centered at ride height. I usually leave around 3 or 4 threads on rod ends. 1" is too much, rod ends can bend if too much thread is showing.

I'm with him. I want double the diameter of the rod in engaged threads at ride height.

Well, I've mangled a perfectly good set of brake discs and caused minor injuries trying to drill progressively larger holes in them. This is not a job for an idiot with a hand drill.

Can I just buy WJ rotors drilled for an XJ somewhere? I see that IRO sells them. Anywhere else? I'm done with this.
Umm ... So I have to ask ... How?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I had the linkage cut and set just right. Then I realized the axle was not centered all. Try again.

I think it's OK now.

normal_image~14.jpeg

I ordered a solid 7075 aluminum tie rod and pre-drilled brake discs from Stinky Fab. That should get this over the finish line.

I should be down there next Thursday and can pick that stuff up for you

I should be down there next Thursday and can pick that stuff up for you

You are awesome. Thanks!

Cal convinced me to add the Rubicon Express track bar bracket brace (RE1670). It makes sense. That bracket seems to take quite a beating. My old one came loose all the time.

normal_image~15.jpeg

It was a pain to install because the frame stiffener pushes everything on the frame out a little bit.

Looking good Travis. I confirmed my meeting in San Diego on Thursday, and I'll swing by SFR after and grab your parts. We can meet up Friday evening and you can buy me a beer. ;)

The shiny new aluminum tie rod came in from Stinky Fab so I got to put everything together.

normal_image~17.jpeg

I'm really happy with the tie rod. It bends around the RuffStuff diff cover at full lock just like it's supposed to. I will probably take a little metal off the cover just to minimize the bending.

normal_image~16.jpeg

I went with one ton tie rod ends ES2234R (Chevy) and ES2010L (Dodge). .

normal_image~20.jpeg

Got the Akebono brakes together. They are massive compared to the stock XJ brakes.

normal_image~18.jpeg

I was really nervous about everything fitting inside the 15" wheels, but it all fits. I don't even have to move the wheels weights.

normal_image~19.jpeg

No room for error behind the calipers. Maybe a whole millimeter.

Of course this process uncovered another screw up. When I set up the drag link, the pitman arm wasn't clocked right. Now it's too short. I'll have to make another one before I can bolt everything back up and be done with this.

I was really nervous about everything fitting inside the 15" wheels, but it all fits. I don't even have to move the wheels weights.

normal_image~19.jpeg

No room for error behind the calipers. Maybe a whole millimeter.

Awesome.

Can I ask what 15" wheels you are running? And what offset?

I don't see any evidence of spacers either. Very cool.

Try a jk pitman arm. Longer throw and has a bend making the drag link shorter

longer through would mean you don't utilize all of your steering box, have a faster ratio and less power. is that really what we want?

Back