• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OTK WJ knuckle swap. What could go wrong?

First chance to check wheel clearance with the RuffStuff offset 1 ton TREs and my 15" steelies. Will this fly?

normal_image~9.jpeg

no way to really tell without cycling it lock-lock. you may end up needing to shave a little off the outside edge.

From what I have read, but not from personal experience (following this topic closely, it is on my to-do list) the calipers are a limiting factor. I would love to see a similar pic with the calipers in place.

Also, how much backspacing on those steelies?

From what I have read, but not from personal experience (following this topic closely, it is on my to-do list) the calipers are a limiting factor. I would love to see a similar pic with the calipers in place.

X2 on this... Mock that caliper up.

Looks just like mine. Girl and axle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no way to really tell without cycling it lock-lock. you may end up needing to shave a little off the outside edge.

This. We used those same TRE's on James's rig with 16's, and there is rub at full lock.

15's with the off set TREs will not work without super low offset or wheel spacers. The calipers is also the issue. I opted for wheel spacers

Everyone I have seen (locally) use the offsets TRE's has had to do grinding with 15's.
When I did my steering we used a synergy double adjuster ... And put the clearance bends into the tie rod tubing. Then used standard off the shelf ends. I run 15x7 rims with 3 5/8" BS, 35x12.50R15's and run Teeves calipers inside them. It's fairly tight but has plenty of room overall.
My other concern, was about the short life span I was hearing with the offset TRE's at the time I did my conversion.
I have yet to have any issues with the Teeve's style caliper and it fits inside the 15" alloy wheels with about 3/16" clearance. The TRE's have about the same gap.
My setup is done OTK, and OTA.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

I have yet to have any issues with the Teeve's style caliper and it fits inside the 15" alloy wheels with about 3/16" clearance. The TRE's have about the same gap.
My setup is done OTK, and OTA.

May I ask what alloy wheels, what offset and whether or not you are having to run spacers?

FWIW, I'm running Teraflex small taper offset TRE's on my WJ knuckle OTK setup, using 16" Rubi wheels and 1.25" billet adapters. No rim to TRE rub.

May I ask what alloy wheels, what offset and whether or not you are having to run spacers?

He still doesn't clear off set tie rod ends. My alloys cleared my akebono calipers with some grinding. No way around off set TREs with 15's. Unless you have like 2" BS

Ultra Wheel type 164, 15x7, 3 5/8" backspacing. So slightly more offset in that a typical 15x8.

309d635045af7b41957afd32c8480ff7.jpg

1effe7592c284898a10ee33239bd8c3f.jpg

bd71d4f670bc9d42e156f361e63d0d2c.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I can tell you from dabbling in the WJ world, you can run 15" wheels with a 4" backspace. Thats using the STOCK WJ tie rods. I had a friend that did it on his, i stuck with 16's on my old WJ. Im going to do an OTK Crossover steering on my XJ soon. My XJ came with 16" aftermarket wheels with stock backspacing. so I might stick with a 16" wheel, i might not. My XJ is offroad trail rig only due to a certificate of Salvage. She was hit in the rear pretty hard when i bought it.

I clear with non offset 1ton ends with steel 15s 3.75 wheels. Same with the better of the two sets of calipers.

Back