• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OT-Any Heavy equipment operators here?

FattyPatty

NAXJA Forum User
I have am kinda in-between careers right now and have always enjoyed using excavators and what not. I want to find out more about making this my job. Should I go to one of those schools and join a union or do I just find a company and try to get in the door?

I think seanR would be the guy to best answer your Q's.

Sean...O, Sean!....

Beej is the expert heavy equipment operator in Canada ... PM him. :D

Les

Find a good local contractor.
I don't know about up there, but down here, Rockford area, There are ALOT of people sitting on the bench right now at the Operators hall.
The union isn't real strong north of Milwaukee, so you should be able to find something at a non union shop up there.
It is best to know someone that knows someone.

Thanks for the tip, the local union's website makes it sound like the only way to go is the Union and that it is the only place to get good training.

I'm just worried that if I try to get a job operating equipment that they will stick me in a ditch with a shovel and tell me that I will "eventually start picking it up"

The operators union will not give you a shovel, that is for damn sure, with 25 years in the Laborers union, I know first hand, Operators DO NOT SHOVEL!

Get ahold of them and see what they have to say.

Like I said, if you know someone in the business, they can get you in on premit.
That is how I hire people, I get them in on a permit, after 4000 hours, they can buy a card.

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that operating a dozer is more fun than sitting in a cubicle.

Lawn Cher' said:
I guess I'm not the only one who thinks that operating a dozer is more fun than sitting in a cubicle.

the bigger it is, with more wheels, levers, and gadgets, the more i want to drive it

Lawn Cher' said:

I thought you knew there was at least one more...

Are you willing to travel? There are lots of job opportunities out there if you are.

If you don't have much experience you will probably get stuck in a trench putting together pipe, driving a haul truck, or a roller. Most foremen I know like to get to know someone a little bit before they put them in an excavator trying to locate a fiber optics line.

Prepmech said:
If you don't have much experience you will probably get stuck... driving a haul truck, or a roller. Most foremen I know like to get to know someone a little bit before they put them in an excavator trying to locate a fiber optics line.

What do these jobs pay? Know anyone you can hook me up with? This "engineering" gig is getting old.

I am going to the Union's apprentice info session if September. But I am also checking out the local contractors. I don't mind crawling around in a ditch, I am a weldor so I used to being fully clothed and hot in cramped spaces. I just wouldn't want to get stuck permanently.

Back