• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ordered the parts for phase 1 lift

01XJLIMITED

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks to all of the great information available on these forums I decided to start the mods on my new 01 xj which I purchased in December. I ordered the RE 2" BB with full rear add-a-leaf just to get things a little further off the ground. I want to start small to avoid the dreaded vibes since this is my DD as well. I will decide on the vibe fixes as necessary (shimming, TCASE drop, etc..., but will probably end up heading down the 4.5" lift with SYE and new d/s road. Still deciding on tire upgrades but plan on running stock 225/70/16's for a bit while I continue my research. Probably end up with the 30x9.5x16 Bridgestone Dueler REVO which I am reading great things about. Jersey shore wheeling is mostly limited to sand and mud, and daily commutes through the occasional deep snow. This is my third xj and will be the first one not left in stock configuration. The first was an 89 Laredo purchased brand new, sold @ 110K to purchase brand new 94 stripper w 4.0 and NP242, sold that, had no XJ since 98 and have been missing them ever since. Finally found the 01 Limited in Silver with the options I wanted and made the purchase in December. Finally back in XJ and plan on staying there. There is no other vehicle on the road or off that even comes close.

Sorry guys - new poster on the forum and forgot to ask the questions! I plan on doing the BB lift as soon as it arrives, which should be a couple of weeks since the shocks are back ordered. I already started with the liquid wrech since I could not find PB BLASTER which is what every thread recommends. Any clues where to get it? Also, are there any surprise bolt or nut sizes? What size TORX will I run into doing the job? Should I or shouldn't I remove the entire leaf packs to sneak in the full length AAL? Should I rent a spring compressor or strut compressor? After numerous measurements, w/wo full fuel, stock ride height is 18.5" front, 18" rear, which seems to be 1" above all of the threads I read so far (which was in fact every one on OEM and Modified forums) say 17.5/17. Does this mean I have the up country suspension? I have a rear sway bar, which does not tell me much. Is there anything else I can use to determine if UC installed? Thanks again to all of you posters for the great lift information you put out there. I already feel like the job is half done with the information available! This site rules! 01xj limited 4.0 NP231, D30/8.25 AW4.

OK... for the front you don't need any compressors: Unbolt the shocks, unbolt the sway bar and when you push on one end (one axle end) you will be able to pull the coils out. I was able to get in and out 3" coils with spacers already in there....

Btw, if you got the rear sway bar you don't have upcountry as upcountry does not have the rear swaybar. Btw, when you're doing your install, take that rear swaybar and remove it and leave it off.

PB Blaster can be found in Walmart, and Advanced Auto Parts. Spring compressor can be used but since you are just putting in a BB you can drop the axle and get the spring out. I would assume that is a puck on top of the spring for your BB. C-clamps make putting the spring pack back together a breeze. We did my friends AAL with the springs on the XJ and I have done them off an XJ too, and IMHO neither is that much easyer than the other. As for yor measurements it all depends on where you are measuring from and to. I wounder if your 16" rims are the reason for the difference? HTH and Good luck!

The RE BB has 1.75 spacers front and half AAL rear, but I ordered the full aal instead. As far as ride height, I am taking the measurements from the center of the hub/wheel to the bottom of the flare and come up with the 18 instead of 17 numbers. Took at least 5 measurements after doing the jounce test (bounce the bumpers and release on the upswing, then measure - also found on this forum) The rear sway bar negates the possibility of uc suspension? Thanks for the info. I grabbed a couple of 4 " c-clamps the other day for the rear spring packs, purchased a new torque wrench, got a mondo breaker bar, etc. but this vehicle has only 20K miles and the bottom is so clean the leafs are not even rusted! The xj only had 1 owner and never saw any off road use. Still feel the need to PB for the next week since I really don't want to deal with breaking the upper rear shock bolts (or anything else) which seems to be the norm. Also found some info here regarding relo/straighten the front brake lines. The kit comes with a new extended rear replacement. I am jonesing to get started after looking at all the cool rigs with the modified suspensions.

You also may want to consider an anti seize(sp?) on the upper rear shock bolts, if you plan future mods or follow the salt truck around much.

Hey, im right dow the road in williamsport at penn tech. I recently installed the RE 2"BB on my 97 and couldnt be happier, no vibes and it just looks cool. Maybe if other things stop breaking ill be able to test it out.

01XJLIMITED said:
FYI - anyone looking for the RE 2" BB should consider http://www.mesa4x4.com/ - Price even with the full AAL upgrade (add $15) is way below anybody else out there. Price INCLUDING shipping/RE6160/+Full AAL below anyone's retail price with half leaf!

Ok, so how much is it? (Site doesn't give the price) Mine was $189 last year from DPGoffroad. BTW Dirk will beat anyone's prices out there. Nothing at all against Mesa but Dirk does an awesome job of Customer Service and gets my $$ for that reason alone.

Good deal. Bad news though, you are going to get inchitis! It happens to everyone!!

Any Pics yet? And does the full length AAL provide alot more lift than just the coil spacers up front, giving you that drag racer look? Thanks

CltXJ said:
Any Pics yet? And does the full length AAL provide alot more lift than just the coil spacers up front, giving you that drag racer look? Thanks

Don't knock the drag racer look :D When I replaced my rear leaf springs and left the front be for couple months I have had great visibility in the front corners while wheeling :D

no pictures - technophobia and lackobudget

I don't have a digicam, so no pictures. Also, weather has been really bad in NJ for all of January and I have not installed yet. Since I already have 1/2 inch taller measurement in front, I expect to be more level all around, and with the expected settling of the AAL, I should have exactly the stance I am after. Couple that with some new tires, and let the fun begin!

Back