• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on VW GTI

DrMoab said:
Considering that Remi is from Poland...I find this conversation Ironic.

it shouldn't be...I've owned most of the air cooled fleet at one time or another...I miss my 69 Karmann Ghia convertilbe.

That was a blast.

had a 1989 jetta once for $50- turned it into a rally car (painted numbers on the doors), driven into a pond, after pullig it out, it started the next day, buddy crashed it into tree at 35mph, still ran but no radiator, needed to pop the hood to to select a gear (engine and tranny pushed back about 4 in into firewall) able to be "raced" for another hour until it blew out a cv joint, put brick on gas pedal-lasted about 1min 30sec until engine seized and caught fire- put out right away, a month later took mbreaker bar and unseized engine, still ran for another minute or two for some reason-could only rev to about 3000rpms using starting fluid:roflmao: my opinion, VWs are pretty tough little cars, get one!

Mmmm... VeeDubs!!! Gotta love em' orginally started in the VW market and fell into Jeep's instead. I had an MK4 for a bit but was tired of having to ride in everyone else's truck... VW, not rice, only German. Wonderful car, truly remarkable... The Rabbit was considered the first "Sport Compact". Nice, go with anything VW and you'll be impressed

KarlVP said:
VW is for Hitler loving Nazis, gays (which I don't have a problem with) and dumb blonde chicks.
:roflmao:

ahitlerVW.jpg

Skip the GTI and try to find a used R32.

-----Matt-----

karstic said:
I miss my '84 man that was a fun car. Too many speeding tickets though. Dano what year is that? Blue interior with the red accents?
84, yes blue with red stripes, but previos owner swapped in corrado (?) front seats. it blew up day two, retards didn't know how to work on a car, but it will be rebuilt and auto/rally-crossed next year.
Del00XJ said:
The Rabbit was considered the first "Sport Compact".
aka Hot Hatch

Read some reviews and reliability ratings about VW's. I almost bought a Jetta a while back, some people loved them and some had some very bad reviews. There where too many reviewed as lemons. Where are they made?

I ended up with a Subaru WRX.

If you're going to get a GTI..get a 2.0T...not the 2.5. I'm still a little annoyed that one of my co-workers didn't even ask for my input before they purchased their new GTI (i've owned three newer VW's). I could have at least steered them to a better dealer than the one they went with.

Jeepsterboy101 said:
R32's are overrated IMO.

I drove a supercharged R32 this April. I can't say that I was very impressed. The R32 is a VERY heavy car. I don't think I would have noticed a difference at all between a stock R32 and my chipped 05 GLI.

The R32 is NOT worth $30k when compared to the STI and EVO (i've driven both of those too).

johnlv6 said:
I drove a supercharged R32 this April. I can't say that I was very impressed. The R32 is a VERY heavy car. I don't think I would have noticed a difference at all between a stock R32 and my chipped 05 GLI.

The R32 is NOT worth $30k when compared to the STI and EVO (i've driven both of those too).

Yep, I agree. Back when I had my WRX I could take R32's no problem. I wasn't stock and wasn't on the stock turbo but still. Just way overpriced for what you are getting. But they are damn nice cars......

Buy an R32, buy a "loaded" WRX. Not only will you, your neighbors cat, and aunt's hampster have the same car, but when you trade it in four years or total, wait and see how much they give you. A WRX boxer engine is based off a VW design. Look at an air-cooled VW motor. Same design and with a stinger pipe they sound the same. BTW, Gti's aren't even made in Germany, most are made in Brazil and you'll be lucky to get one from Germany... I've never had any complaints about my VeeDubs and neither has anyone else I've know. Just adding another .02

Make sure it hass the ever dependable 1.8 turbo....

OK...so its not that dependable...and my company sells them for about $1800.00 USED.

I have a family to support...so thanks in advance.

Del00XJ said:
I've never had any complaints about my VeeDubs and neither has anyone else I've know. Just adding another .02

My complaints are possibly why the co-worker never asked for my advice :D. I had some issues with the build quality and dealer service for my 05 VW. Again...i've owned three (02-05) and take every opportunity to direct people towards higher quality Japanese products. I WON'T buy another.

Del00XJ said:
Buy an R32, buy a "loaded" WRX. Not only will you, your neighbors cat, and aunt's hampster have the same car, but when you trade it in four years or total, wait and see how much they give you.

I think this depends largely on where you are - around here, a three-year-old WRX in good shape will still set you back $17-$20,000; R32s are anywhere from $22-$30,000 depending on who's selling. Note that these numbers are based off of a quick search on cars.com, so YMMV.

A WRX boxer engine is based off a VW design.

Only in the same sense that, say, a GM V8 is based off of an air-cooled Tatra V8 - they share the same basic cylinder configuration, but that's about it.

Last edited:
casm said:
Del00XJ said:
Buy an R32, buy a "loaded" WRX.
I think this depends largely on where you are - around here, a three-year-old WRX in good shape will still set you back $17-$20,000; R32s are anywhere from $22-$30,000 depending on who's selling.
Yeah, I did that search as well (plus some perusing of the classifieds at vwvortex). I'm having to work at it to convince myself to spend 25K on a new car. 25K for a used one (30K for one with lower mileage)? That's just not going to happen.

Jeepsterboy101 said:
R32's are overrated IMO.

Back when I had my WRX I could take R32's no problem. I wasn't stock and wasn't on the stock turbo but still. Just way overpriced for what you are getting. But they are damn nice cars......
I had an STi at the same time a friend of mine had an R32. While the STi was a little quicker at the track and handled a little better, the R32 was a much nicer car to live with every day. The reason I'd buy the R32 over a GTI is simply because of the AWD and the sound of that V6. One of the most intoxicating engine noises I've ever heard.

johnlv6 said:
The R32 is a VERY heavy car. I don't think I would have noticed a difference at all between a stock R32 and my chipped 05 GLI.
Well, the old R32's curb weight was 3256 lbs and the new GTI is 3308 lbs. As to your GLI keeping up with a R32, I have a hard time seeing that, but I could be wrong. I assume it was a VR6...?

To echo more than a few people on here, VW has pretty awful reliability despite them being nice cars. For my $25,000, it would not go to a VW at all, but like I said if you were stuck on a VW, the R32 gets my vote. I also think it's a much better looking car than the new generation:

ar32.jpg

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
I had an STi at the same time a friend of mine had an R32. While the STi was a little quicker at the track and handled a little better, the R32 was a much nicer car to live with every day. The reason I'd buy the R32 over a GTI is simply because of the AWD and the sound of that V6. One of the most intoxicating engine noises I've ever heard.

-----Matt-----

No doubt the R32 is nice. Just expensive for what you are getting. And they do sound quite beautiful.

May I ask what you sold the STi for?

IXNAYXJ said:
Well, the old R32's curb weight was 3256 lbs and the new GTI is 3308 lbs. As to your GLI keeping up with a R32, I have a hard time seeing that, but I could be wrong. I assume it was a VR6...?
-----Matt-----

The R32 has 242ish HP at the crank. The power to the wheels is not that impressive (i want to say around 210hp). It's been a while since i've researched VW stuff. It loses a lot through the drivetrain (Haldex coupler/a.ka. All wheel drive).

I've read enough stories of lightly modded 1.8T's keeping up with stock R32's that at least one of them probably isn't far off. I assumed most of the stories were B.S. till I actually drove one. Like I said...it wasn't very impressive (and that's with VF/Vortech supercharger w/intercooler).

I said that I don't think I would notice a difference....not that my car would necessarily keep up with it (a stock R32, that is).

I assume it was a VR6? The R...yes. My car was a 1.8T w/ APR 93 octane chip and Milltek cat-back. Yes...on paper probably 20-30 HP difference. But when you can go from a F.I. VR6 into a lightly modded 1.8T and not be that impressed with the difference...it doesn't say much for it.

Jeepsterboy101 said:
No doubt the R32 is nice. Just expensive for what you are getting. And they do sound quite beautiful.

May I ask what you sold the STi for?
Well, the short answer is that I bought a house and kinda needed to get responsible. The long answer is that it was my 4th Subaru in a row ('91 Legacy Turbo, '02 WRX, '92 SVX, '04 STi) and I was getting bored with AWD. I've owned two M3s since, and am converted. :D

I've learned that outright speed does not necessarily equal enjoyment. My last 240 hp BMW was WAY more fun than my 300 hp STi, and almost more fun than my current 330 hp M car. But, that's part of the fun, IMHO; trying out different types of cars and seeing what best suits you. Next on the list is a 993.

johnlv6 said:
The R32 has 242ish HP at the crank. The power to the wheels is not that impressive (i want to say around 210hp). It's been a while since i've researched VW stuff. It loses a lot through the drivetrain (Haldex coupler/a.ka. All wheel drive).

I've read enough stories of lightly modded 1.8T's keeping up with stock R32's that at least one of them probably isn't far off. I assumed most of the stories were B.S. till I actually drove one. Like I said...it wasn't very impressive (and that's with VF/Vortech supercharger w/intercooler).

I said that I don't think I would notice a difference....not that my car would necessarily keep up with it (a stock R32, that is).

I assume it was a VR6? The R...yes. My car was a 1.8T w/ APR 93 octane chip and Milltek cat-back. Yes...on paper probably 20-30 HP difference. But when you can go from a F.I. VR6 into a lightly modded 1.8T and not be that impressed with the difference...it doesn't say much for it.
Strange. That's a very different experience than I had. I guess I was really impressed with the mid-range punch in a way a 1.8 never has (including a friend's built TT w/ the 225 hp motor). Meh, to each his own.

-----Matt-----

Last edited:
IXNAYXJ said:
Well, the short answer is that I bought a house and kinda needed to get responsible. The long answer is that it was my 4th Subaru in a row ('91 Legacy Turbo, '02 WRX, '92 SVX, '04 STi) and I was getting bored with AWD. I've owned two M3s since, and am converted. :D

I've learned that outright speed does not necessarily equal enjoyment. My last 240 hp BMW was WAY more fun than my 300 hp STi, and almost more fun than my current 330 hp M car. But, that's part of the fun, IMHO; trying out different types of cars and seeing what best suits you. Next on the list is a 993.

-----Matt-----

You sir have some good taste in cars. 993 Yummy......

KarlVP said:
VW is for Hitler loving Nazis, gays (which I don't have a problem with) and dumb blonde chicks.

I like him. He's silly. :confused1

Ok, here's a challenge for you - find me an American car that can meet the following specifications (go get yourself a pencil and a piece of paper):

1. Produced in the last 6 model years.
2. Available for sale in the U.S. market
3. Has front, side, and curtain air bags
4. Either powered by diesel engine or can travel 675 miles or more on ONE 15-gallon tank of fuel with a traditional (read: torque converter-based) automatic transmission
5. Does not sound like a thin-walled beer can when you (a)close the doors or (b)rap on the headliner
6. Seats four or more
7. Equipped with pw/pl/pm/sunroof, AM/FM/CD/Cass stereo with amplifier, heated leather seats, steering wheel radio controls, heated windshield washer nozzles, cruise control, intermittent wipers, FULL SIZED spare tire, tilt/telescope steering column, immobilizer-III ignition keys with keyless entry, and factory alarm system.
8. Interior fit and finish comparable to VW/BMW
9. Sells for $23,000U.S. or less as depicted above.

Got all that? Good. Run along now, and go find me this wonderful American car I didn't find any trace of 5 years ago when I bought my TDI. I would like to know what I missed.

Happy hunting,

Rob

Back