• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on alternator

Jeepm@n

NAXJA Forum User
Ok my 96 is being sold. I bought an alternator today out of a Dodge Dakota with a 318. As I was putting the wiring on the alternator I snapped off one of the little studs on the back of the alternator. There is the large positive which is fine the two larger negatives and two smaller ones that hold a plastic box on. I broke a smaller one. I did start it and it seemed fine under load. Is that going to cause a problem? I do not want to sell a headache for someone else and I'm doubting myself on whether to spend another $60 on another alternator when I really do not have the cash to replace it for a second time.

it won't charge. i did this once. ran ok for a while. then quit charging. i have to have the local place replace that piece. no clue how much, it was over 10 years ago.

mac 'i hate the little things' gyvr

sounds like it's the wire that goes to the positive that excites the coil.

Well I ran it 45 miles on Sunday with no issues but I think I'm going to get another alternator. It is a ground I think as it has one terminal go to a case stud, then a black box with two ring terminals that go onto the back of the alternator small studs, then finally to another case stud.

the black box is all retifier voltage regulator stuff.

it needs that ground. You can simply pop the black box off, extend it's ground wires and reattach them somewhere else.

electricity is not that picky.

Back