• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open Element air filters

XJJack said:
Except I don't want one that you clean and it cost $30 plus to buy, I want you for under $10 made of paper and I through it away when dirty.
OH WELL........:dunno: Have it your way.

Kyung

hmm, a noise form your engine and it's your air filter? Without even taking apart the engine, ect how exactly would you know that the air filter is causing the problems? Anyways I had a K&N filter and it was fine, but it got filled with mud so I switched to Mean Green filters. It seems better constructed then the K&N but I'm having problems getting it full of mud over time and not being able to get it clean.

Now I'm looking at a new filter, True Flow. It's a foam and seem like it might be easier to clean since you can work the foam to clean it.

Flip94ta said:

Off topic, but, I hear a lot of stuff like that and to tell you the truth, those things are lifesavers. Imagine having to clean those filters by hand every inspection and on top of that, having multiple aircraft needing them to be cleaned. I'm not sure if you know or not, but we're severly undermanned in all branches of the military for what we are constantly being asked to do, so if there is a machine out there that can give us back the people it would take to clean the filters, it is well worth the money. I'm sure there is something at your work that can be very time consuming and you just wish someone else would do it so you can get back to more important work. Well, contrary to what most people think, there is a never ending string of things to do for the military and if there is anything that will lighten our work load and allow us to do other work at the same time, I think it is well worth however much that machine costs.

when lifters stop operating 9 times out of ten they're clogged. I know what a stuck lifter sounds like. Luckily I was able to run the oil very thin as an attempt at cleanout and the problem was resolved.

The fact remains that Gauze air filters allow more junk through than paper filters, more frequent oil changes are necessary, and your rings wear out prematurely if you run in dust often. My fourwheelers were run in extremely dusty conditions so the process was accelerated, but running an inadequate filter will result in premature ring wear and shorten engine life.

Run whatever you prefer in your rig, but after 2 premature failures and one close call due to excess solids being allowed into the engine I am through with $50 "million mile" warranty filters that will essientially gurantee that your engine will never make it that far.

goodburbon said:
Just FYI they're crap.

I'm going to be doing away with my K&N filter shortly and possibly switching to a ford or rover cannister filter assy. I have been running a K&N on my fourwheeler since the warranty was up, and now the rings are gone. that makes 2 bikes that I have that needed premature ring jobs running K&N brand filters kept clean and oiled. The K&N style filter just does not protect the engine, power and mileage gains are negligible. From the looks of my intake tubes on my bikes you'd dojust as well to run a piece of porch screenl. At this point it is no longer worth it to me to continue to ruin engines with a filter that just doesn't.

Oh, and my jeep has just developed a stuck lifter as of yesterday. It may be too late for one of my xj's, but those of you out there that still have good engines I reccomend something with a little finer filtration.

just my .02

I wouldn't be so quick to blame the K&N filter. If it's left exposed in the engine compartment, it'll inhale a lot more dust so more will get through. The solution is to install a heatshield to protect it. Check out my homebrew FIPK:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/FIPK.html

My filter seems to be doing a pretty good job because I recently checked inside the intake tube and it was squeaky clean.

Dr. Dyno said:
I wouldn't be so quick to blame the K&N filter. If it's left exposed in the engine compartment, it'll inhale a lot more dust so more will get through. The solution is to install a heatshield to protect it. Check out my homebrew FIPK:

http://www.jeep4.0performance.4mg.com/FIPK.html

My filter seems to be doing a pretty good job because I recently checked inside the intake tube and it was squeaky clean.

X2

XJJack said:
Except I don't want one that you clean and it cost $30 plus to buy, I want you for under $10 made of paper and I through it away when dirty.

Just a thought, I haven't looked into it but ..... I used to have a 1989 Honda Prelude Si and the stock paper filter for it might be exactly what you're looking for. Go to the auto parts store and check it out. It looks like the "cone" filters but it's paper. It should work as long as the opening is large enough and if it isn't, I'm sure you could fab something ...........

Back