• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Open Cooling Conversion, a few Q's

TLowery04

NAXJA Forum User
I searched for the last 3 hours, read numerous posts, and found three of the dozen or so websites recommended are still active.

My situation: My radiator has failed.
My vehicle: 1989 xj 4.0l Laredo 4 door renix setup closed cooling system.
My thoughts: I want to convert over to the open cooling system while I am going to have to replace the radiator anyway. From what i can tell it will offer me no cooling advantages but will offer the convenience of not pulling the temp sensor to refill the coolant and not having to replace my bottle every year or so.

I think i have the plumbing part almost figured out, a good idea at least. I was wondering if anyone had a plumbing diagram they could share. Also, If anyone knew if the Heater control valve could be left out completely until the winter months (i seem to recall reading something about it but cant find the post now) and how the plumbing would change if i bypassed the heater until i get the ac and heater back at the same time when i have more time to mess with it.

sumation - all i need is an open cooling system with a new radiator so i can get back to work. creature compforts like ac/ and heat i can deal with later, and the fan has already been switch wired. Can anyone tell me if i just loop the hoses together? and if so which ones?

thanks everyone, i would like to get this done tomorrow/sunday morning before returning to work in texas for the week. I will post up pictures of my under hood if needed

You need the radiator and a cap, a coolant overflow hose, a coolant recovery bottle.

You can eliminate the coolant control valve, just run straight hose back and forth. Another option is to get a 92+ coolant control valve. You can put a simple on/off brass valve in the heater hose--off for the summer, on for winter. You can run a short piece of hose from the thermostat outlet to the WP return. I subscribe to the school of thought that keeping coolant flowing through the heater core helps prevent clogging.

That is pretty much it.

Good luck.

well, i've run into a snag with the trans cooler lines,

first, the steel line bent and ruptured...

then, i noticed the lower line connects to a fitting that comes out of the '89 radiator, and my new open radiator did not come with that part...

SO - I guess i will look for the part online and if all else fails go the thirty+ miles round trip back to oreily for help

well, i'm lost... i think i can re-use the upper screw in peice to the trans cooler but i will need to take both radiators back up to oreily to see if they can figure out what i need to make the lower hose work on the new radiator

well. i probably wont be going back to that oreilly, they basically said "I' dont want to see your radiator, if you need a part heres the parts bin you can scrounge through" - "Next"

the guy didnt know the difference between a flared or threaded end.

and couldent find anything in the system about the steel trans cooler line that hooks up to the radiator...

there was a certain degree of service and professionalism i came to expect from checker auto parts in flagstaff az - i am thoroughly disappointed in o'reilly in Oklahoma city. The only person in that store worth his salt as far as i have seen is the assistant manager.

in the end he told me to go look for my automotive fittings at ace hardware...

i guess i'll search napas website for the steel lines, wish i had a part number to go off of through.

oh yeah, and the parts that come out of the radiator i was looking for were taped to the packaging material in the trash. - Always check your boxes :)

Back