• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Old Man Emu Questions

So if I'm reading all this right it should be the OME 934's which are for the ZJ to get 3"-3 1/2" with no extra weight up front right?
Now the 934's are the medium duty ones or the heavy duty ones from Rockyroad?
It's just I'm thinking of new front springs and the good old "$11 Bastard Leaf Pack" leaf spring set-up and kinda want 3"-3 1/2" all around when done.
Also will I need the 1" transfer case drop with that set-up?

From what I'm gathering its maybe not a necessity, but it wouldn't hurt.

CollinM said:
From what I'm gathering its maybe not a necessity, but it wouldn't hurt.
You mean the transfer case drop?
Am I right on the rest of it though?

For Jeff97 or others,
Yesterday installed a Rigid front bumper and Ramsey 8.5 winch. I pulled the cable, as I am installing rope to keep the weight down. It appears that the springs compressed about .50-.75" with weight. I have not driven it yet and I am sure it will settle some more. I still have to torque some of the bolts. I am assuming that I will put 1" spacer in front. If I need more, I will put 1.75" spacer in front and a 1" shackle in the rear. 31"s on stock rims, rub only on LCA.
Remember, I have the 934 front springs, and AAL in the rear. I have heavy bumpers front and rear (rear is Durango w/tire carrier).
Mine is over-built for the height, but I would rather be prepared and it is a DD.

Well I ordered the OME 934's for the Jeep this week. I should have them by next weekend I HOPE!
So that should take care of the 3" up front for me since I have no extra weight up there.
And I found a good deal on a set of S-10 4 leaf rear leaf spring's in great shape. So I'm thinking that should do the rear.
Now with the 3"-3 1/2" lift I may or may not need a transfer case drop right?
When I do the lift what should I watch for to see if I need it?
Drive line vibration?
If so is it ok to drive around town till I get it in?
Thanx!!

It depends on what year your XJ is. If your XJ is 1996 or newer you might need a t-case drop.
But you should drive it first it's probably not that bad.
If there are any vibes they will most likely be at around 65 mph and up.
When you intend to go offroad with your XJ you will hate the t-case drop. Those kits often drop the t-case about an inch which is not necessary.
So you should first try shims or drop the t-case just a half centimeter with washers or so.

Mine is a '92 XJ Sport, 4.0L HO, AW4, 242 Transfer case, Dana 30 non disco front, Chrysler 8.25 rear.
Thanx for the reply.

Instead of a T-case drop that uses the factory cross member, if you have the buck sto spare you can get a drop crossmember from Rusty's that drops the case an inch and retains the clearance- Rusty's crossmember is an inch thinner than the stock cross member is.

I am wondering about running the 242 in full time with the tcase drop. wouldnt dropping the tcase also raise the front DS and possibly give trouble on that end in fulltime mode? it seems to me that while a sye may be excessive for this little lift, it is the only "right" way to do things...that is the way i will do mine, to allow for future lifting if i get bored.

In reply to Tazz. I have netted four inches of lift with my OME setup (With coil spacers and extendo-shackles.) My XJ is a 93 with the same basic specs as yours. I DID suffer vibes at first, but that was from having a partially collapsed tranny mount. After I replaced the old mount whith a new RUBBER stock mount, the vibes dissapeared. ( I installed a Daystar Poly tranny mount for about three weeks before I ripped it out and installed the stock mount, and all I can say is, Unibodies and Polyeurethane motor/tranny mounts do NOT play together well.)

Back