• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok, got an XJ vs YJ question.

Buzzstrike

NAXJA Forum User
Ok folks, got a off the wall question for y'all.

How is the "ride" of a stock YJ versus a stock XJ.

Will the leaves at all four corners beat the living hell out of me if I was to use the YJ as a DD, say 50 miles round trip. With it doing some light trail running on 235's or may be 31's.

It's been so long since my XJ was "stock" I can't remember how it rode when it was the DD.

Opinions any one?

Thats like apples in oranges in my opinion. I have driven both a stock XJ and YJ. The stock XJ was much more tame. The YJ was rougher and louder, even stock. Trade the WhyJ for two XJs and have 3 total.......one crawler, one DD, and one back up.

The shortwheel base of the YJ combined with leaves at all 4 corners is going to make it ride like a truck from the get go. The XJ's combination of longer wheelbase and coil spring front end are going to make them not even comparable form a comfort point of view. It'll still get he job done though you just need to be prepared for a rougher and "busier" ride than the XJ.

Trade the WhyJ for two XJs and have 3 total.......one crawler, one DD, and one back up.

I don't have a YJ, just wondering about grabbing a northern rust queen and run it till it falls apart. Although, I have thought about getting another XJ.

Short wheelbase + leafs = bouncy. My YJ was a fun ride to run around town but longer runs on the highway got old quick.

YJ on the highway brings the suck. A stock or stock-ish XJ will be way more comfortable.

My YJ rides just like you'd figure it would. When I had a winch on the front it rode much better because the OME leaves are rated for heavy loads (6 cylinder + winch). Now that the winch is on my XJ, the YJ rides like a covered wagon up front, smooth out back. Really unusual feeling at times. I'm actually considering buying one of those el cheapo Harbor Freight winches and putting it on there to smooth it back out to make it tolerable again :dunce:

I DD an XJ on 33's and 3" lift AND a 97 TJ on 31's and no lift.

The XJ STILL rides way better than the TJ. Wheel base makes a huge difference.

Now, imagine that being all leaf springs instead of coil springs.

Back