• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK big problem

XJ Eric

NAXJA Forum User
OK so some genius put Diesel in the Premium tanks at the gas station.

Buddy with 08 JKU filled up from empty. Well now, it appears as though the head gasket at the very least is blown. Somebody explain to me what happens in a motor when run with diesel?

I would be talking to the management at the filling station about their insurance policy. That might get passed along to the insurance company of the fuel carrier.

The vehicle should go back to a Jeep dealership and be resolved there. Insurance should be footing the bill, including a rental vehicle.

The driver of the fuel truck needs to be fired with cause.

All the above assumes I understand the situation correctly.

I would be talking to the management at the filling station about their insurance policy. That might get passed along to the insurance company of the fuel carrier.

The vehicle should go back to a Jeep dealership and be resolved there. Insurance should be footing the bill, including a rental vehicle.

The driver of the fuel truck needs to be fired with cause.

All the above assumes I understand the situation correctly.

Agree. Does your buddy have a receipt?

Or, did "some genius" put diesel in their vehicle by mistake?

a buddy of mines wife did this a few months ago. pumps so much unburned atomized fuel out the tail pipe it looks like it a blown head gasket. I pumped out the tank. blew out the lines. filled with fresh unleaded and fired it up. after it burned all the crap out of the exhaust it ran like a champ. no smoking no cat failure. no blown head gasket. even though it doesn't burn, the atomization from the injector coupled with the compression keep it moving and out the back. she cranked it till the battery was dead and it never hydrolocked. 3.7 KK liberty. i wouldn't sweat it too much dude. just get it cleaned up.

OK so some genius put Diesel in the Premium tanks at the gas station.

Buddy with 08 JKU filled up from empty. Well now, it appears as though the head gasket at the very least is blown. Somebody explain to me what happens in a motor when run with diesel?

You will need to drop the tank and clean the Diesel out and flush the fuel lines ...basicly clean everything up nad it should run . Putting Diesel in ags burner usually will not destroy it but will need cleaned up , But Gas in a Diesel will kill do some damage . Not sure if the o2 sensors will get a nice carbon coating ,but you will know if you get a CEL for emissions then you will may be able to clean them or have to replace them . You basicly just end up spending your weekend purging the fuel system with this mistake and end up paying a tow bill home since it will not drive ,But I highly doubt it's more than a cleaning and possibly o2 sensor getting dirty .

The insurance is covering it for him.. it got flat bedded off yesterday morning. He's pissed but probably going to get a new motor out of the deal

The head gasket is definitely blown. Exhaust coming out the sides of the block right at the seam

I've seen this done at the pumps a few times ,But the vehicle would not start and no damage done other than the flush required to remove the diesel ,but they were un able to start . The last time this was done at the local loaf&jug the person next to person who made the mistake pointed they had the green handled pump and asked if that was Diesel Prius ...OOPS ...so that car sat never started and tank purged . Your friend must have been the unlucky Bastard to use that pump first after they filled that stations tank .This is why I save all my Fuel receipts in addition to the charge history on my debit card as simply getting Diesel with water in it will destroy a $15,000 Cummins Engine .

I really fee bad for the poor bastard that made that error unloading the fueal as it may cost him a job .

Given the fact that the diesel nozzle won't fit in the tank, I think probably not.

You would be surprised. Things happen, about a decade ago I saw some middle aged guy with a Brand new (at the time) Vette that he filled with diesel.

A few years ago when I was working at a gas station auto shop there was a lady, regular customer, that had a new Audi A3 TDI and she filled that with gas twice. Fortunately, all it took was dropping the tank and changing filters.
Yes, I know that a gas filler nozzle WILL fit in the diesel unit. But basically stating that shit happens sometimes. You have been on this earth long enough to know that "common sense isn't very common", and that the average person is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

and that the average person is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

I frequently wonder how most people have survived to "adulthood". Years ago I spent a summer running a jet ski rental business. We pretty much only did business by reservation. One week we had a bad round of storms blow in...obviously we were closed for the stormy days. One of our reservations called in and asked if we were open. I kid you not, they asked me "Lighting wouldn't strike us on water, would it?". :wierd: :dunce: The gene pool needs a heavy dose of bleach.

Back