• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Overheating issues

Merkatroyd

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, first post,

My XJ 4.0L won't stop overheating. (in park or driving)

This is a long and complicated story, I will try to keep it simple: Me and a friend replaced the motor in my jeep with a motor from another jeep 2 weeks ago. The jeep began overheating, and I noticed the water pump was leaking, so I replaced it, but the overheating continued. (It also got coolant in the oil when it overheats, a problem which disappeared after I replaced the head gasket.)

I removed the thermostat, placed it in boiling water, it opens and shuts just fine at the right temperature (195 degrees) so that isn't the problem. However, I replaced it anyway with another one which I also tested. I replaced the temperature sensor located at the front of the cylinder head next to the thermostat. The fan shroud, radiator, and electric fan have all been replaced about 1 year ago in an unrelated project. I also replaced the fan clutch too. the problem still persists. I made sure there were no air bubbles in the motor either. I parked it on a hillside facing upwards, and filled the coolant until it was flowing out of the cylinder head.

The only time it won't overheat is if I remove the thermostat completely. Then it just runs a little cold, maybe 115-130 degrees.

Anyone have any ideas why my car won't stop overheating?

What year?

The wrong water pump, a clogged radiator, or your running lean!

Are you still observing actual physical signs of overheating or are you just going off of the temp gauge on the instrument cluster? I've had a broken temp sensor gauge (the one near the back of the valve cover gasket that communicates with the instruments) show false temp readings before like it was overheating. I removed it and found that it felt loose and broken so I replaced it and got accurate temp readings again. I probably hit it or bent it while working on something else near it.

Have you done a radiator flush to see if fluids are flowing through it smoothly?

Are you still observing actual physical signs of overheating or are you just going off of the temp gauge on the instrument cluster? I've had a broken temp sensor gauge (the one near the back of the valve cover gasket that communicates with the instruments) show false temp readings before like it was overheating. I removed it and found that it felt loose and broken so I replaced it and got accurate temp readings again. I probably hit it or bent it while working on something else near it.

Have you done a radiator flush to see if fluids are flowing through it smoothly?

I have also replaced the sensor located on the back of the cylinder head too, because I accidentally snapped it while doing something unrelated. Maybe the new sensor is bad? I haven't observed physical overheating signs, because I usually shut the car off when the gauge starts climbing beyond the normal temp range.

Before I do anything else, I will follow the advice of everyone in this thread and flush the radiator. I will post an update as far as if this fixes the problem.

Back