• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil is optional in a 4.0

GubNi

NAXJA Forum User
I went on a trail ride with a guy yesterday. He was cool and drove like a pro even though his XJ had street tires. I was impressed by what he could do. I was more impressed by what his engine could do.

He stops for a moment and says his oil pressure is low. I thought the way he's beat on that thing it doesn't surprise me. It's probably got hot and thinned out. He cut off the engine and we decided to check the oil. NOTHING on the dipstick except rust and lumpy crud. Cleaned it and tried again and and got the same. Poured two quarts of oil in it and I had a wet spot on the very tip of the dispstick. We poured in two more quarts and it got up to safe, but still had lots of crud every time we pulled the dipstick out.

I'm just amazed that at full throttle it held together with little or no oil. I have a whole new respect for a 4.0 engine now.

4.0s are sweet :)

The 4.0 is a great engine. Sounds like this one is on borrowed time. I'am interested to see how long it will last....

He may want to check the oil more often. LOL

Nick

I ran mine for 2 days to and from work with zero oil pressure. I work 43 miles away and run 70-75mph the entire trip. I thought that guage had messed up as a few days prior to the pressure drop I had changed the oil and ran a engien cleaner through it and it suddenly just dropped to 0. After replacing the sending unit and still gettign a zero reading I drained the oil and changed the filter again. it has had 40psi ever sense.

These engines can definately handle some abuse

I don't think that you know who will figure out why that's funny.:looney:

-Alex

haha! I think he may have got banned again!

The Inline 6 engine is tough. A guy I work with, in his younger days, was out bombing around in his chevy nova 6cyl and hit a rock and put a oil pan but just drove it home anyway. there was just a small puddle in his driveway which means it all must have poured out on top of that rock. He was working at a chevy dealership then and he decided to put it out of its misery. All the employees put a couple of bucks in a pool to see how much longer it would last. He drained the radiator and block of the water and rigged the throttle to hold it at 2000rpm.
The thing lasted over 4 minuts before it even started knocking and about 6 till it was dead.

If it was any other engine (especially a Ford FE) it would have promptly exploded ontop of that rock.

~Alex

Damn... what a tard lol. How did he not know that he was THAT low on oil? That had to be noisy as hell.
Not really. It still had about two quarts in it, and it won't get noisy until the oil pump starts sucking air.

He probably did know it was that low on oil, but as long as he was ready to pour more in, there's no point in adding it until it needs it when it's leaking that badly. A bad main seal or a bad pan gasket will leak more when it's full than when it's almost empty. When my 95 was losing so much oil out the filter adapter that it left a trail on the road even at highway speeds, I routinely ran it until the pressure dropped on hard cornering. No point in stopping four times when you can wait and stop once. It may be crazy, but not necessarily stupid.

Not really. It still had about two quarts in it, and it won't get noisy until the oil pump starts sucking air.

He probably did know it was that low on oil, but as long as he was ready to pour more in, there's no point in adding it until it needs it when it's leaking that badly. A bad main seal or a bad pan gasket will leak more when it's full than when it's almost empty. When my 95 was losing so much oil out the filter adapter that it left a trail on the road even at highway speeds, I routinely ran it until the pressure dropped on hard cornering. No point in stopping four times when you can wait and stop once. It may be crazy, but not necessarily stupid.

I was referring more towards valvetrain noise as the 4.0 isn't notoriously QUIET in that respect. I can tell when I need an oil change just based on how much ticking's goin on, so I can imagine what it would be like in that situation :shocked:. It's always depressing to hear it come back a week after an oil change. It makes ya wanna buy a set of roller rockers just for the sake of the noise alone. And no, that's not at all dumb, I haven't changed my oil for the same reason, I need to fix my rear main :banghead:

Back