• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter Adaptor Seal Replacement

LBEXJ

NAXJA Member #721
I have picked up everthing I (think) I need to replace these seals. Having a good time :D. The bolt is being very stubborn. I tried clamping the T60 torx socket in a pair of Vicegrips, but they just slipped around the socket no matter how tight I clamped them (not enough room between the adaptor and frame rail to use a breaker bar or ratchet). Tried grinding a flat spot on adjacent sides, but they continued to slip. So now, I have sacrificed an 11/16" wrench and welded the socket to the box end ... cut the open end off to facilitate sliding a cheater over the end. I am waiting for the wrench to cool off before trying to get the bolt loose from the adaptor.

:rof: :rof: Les

Well, the (welded) T-60 torx wrench worked fine outside of the torx insert broke off the first try. I just knocked out the stub and reinserted it. Fortunately, there was enough "extra" stub left.

After repairing the wrench, I gave the adaptor bolt a few "love taps" with a chisle and small ball-peen hammer around the outside edge. Was enough to loosen where the bolt head mates up with the adaptor. When I reinstalled the adaptor with new o-rings, I spread a thin layer of antiseize on the surface of the adaptor so it (hopefully) comes off easier the next time.

This little maintenance project is done ... my Saturday morning. :)

Les

Back