• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off-Road Trailers

By the way jwtrapper - Next time cross the chains (take the left chain and put it on the right of the bumper). That way if the connector fails the tongue will be more likely to fall on the chain, not on the ground catching a rut and doing more damage to the trailer.

It was just a photo shoot.

YOu know I gotta say that I don't get why people are putting so much hate on a lunette/pintle setup. They're not really that noisy, they work well (as long as at least one end rotates), and the noise they do make doesn't sound like anything other than a pintle (so you won't misidentify it)..........
I agree! I've pulled my trailer over the rockiest trails and have never had a problem with hitch bind.....in fact you could probably roll my trailer completely over (I wouldn't recommend it, though) and the hitch would be fine......would break a regular ball mount and even some of the fancy "off road" hitches out there!----------Hans

YOu know I gotta say that I don't get why people are putting so much hate on a lunette/pintle setup. They're not really that noisy, they work well (as long as at least one end rotates), and the noise they do make doesn't sound like anything other than a pintle (so you won't misidentify it).

By the way jwtrapper - Next time cross the chains (take the left chain and put it on the right of the bumper). That way if the connector fails the tongue will be more likely to fall on the chain, not on the ground catching a rut and doing more damage to the trailer.

Geoff... I like pintles... if I had a "JEEP" trailer I'd possibly use one... wait my trailer IS a JEEP !! I think there's room for each one it more personal pref.

Curt

Geoff... I like pintles... if I had a "JEEP" trailer I'd possibly use one... wait my trailer IS a JEEP !! I think there's room for each one it more personal pref.

No, Curt, you're seeing it wrong.

You must have it exactly like mine.

In fact I expect to see your Jeep painted red sometime in the next week. :spin1:

No, Curt, you're seeing it wrong.

You must have it exactly like mine.

In fact I expect to see your Jeep painted red sometime in the next week. :spin1:

Hey I had to cut an MJ so I wouldn't be like you... cause once you've done it I won't be able to keep up... I am fighting that urge to copy you... RED !!!! HA ! NEVER !!!

How's the baby... ummm toddler... ?

Curt

Look at adventure trailers new max coupler.

Looks pretty nice and it's roughly the same price as the Lock N' Roll once you factor in the price of the standard hitch and a 2" receiver coupler. Regardless, they're both pretty expensive options, especially given the fact that they both cost twice what I paid for my 1/2 an MJ. :eek:

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/coupler.html

Turns out there's a Redneck Trailer Supplies about 45 minutes south of me. They don't keep the 3" beams in stock, but I'll probably be ordering one through them. I appreciate the tip.

I run a trailer parts store in Livingston just up the road from you and I am an Authorized Dexter Axle Distributor. Send me a pm with what hubface your are looking for and I can see if I can help you out. I do stock some 3" tube axles. I also have the lock-n-roll hitch on the shelf.

Regards,

Sean

Hey I had to cut an MJ so I wouldn't be like you... cause once you've done it I won't be able to keep up... I am fighting that urge to copy you... RED !!!! HA ! NEVER !!!

How's the baby... ummm toddler... ?

Curt

Still qualifies as a baby I think (Toddler starts at 2, right?)

He's walking now, we're so fawked!

I have limited time using a pintle, but it doesnt bother me too much. Not enough to fork over the price for a multi axis coupler anyway.

jwtrapper, i like what you built. Did i miss a build thread somewhere?

I always have good intentions of doing a build thread on my stuff but most of the time it never happens. I have a few build pictures but not enough to start a good build thread. I am wanting to sell this one (I need a transfercase) and down the road build an off road teardrop.

I am going to be building a trailer for spring and summer camping, mostly to haul my camp stuff in. Any more trailer pics and/or somewhat detailed plans. I have watched this thread off and on for about a year now, time for a bump for new pics and plans.
Also, I will be using a dodge caravan rear axle as I have been told it has the 5x4.5 so I have extra spares.
This dude is local, but I don't have the cash to shell out for this, but here is basically what I am looking for: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f130/military-style-jeep-trailer-jk-tj-yj-cj-wj-xj-909795/

My only problem with Ex-Po is the huge class discrepancy there. You have the little guys who can't afford the cool stuff and the uber rich who don't think anything about spending $600 bucks on a camp chair.

My only problem with Ex-Po is the huge class discrepancy there. You have the little guys who can't afford the cool stuff and the uber rich who don't think anything about spending $600 bucks on a camp chair.

$600.00 on a camp chair......try some people spend $1200.00 on them.

$600.00 on a camp chair......try some people spend $1200.00 on them.

I spent $4,600 on one once!

I've modded it a bit over the years, it looks liek this now:
Rockin_+2009+-+124.jpg

To each his own I say....

I went on the old Mojave Road tour with some from Expo last October.

There were vehicles of all types. From a fairly new, totally tricked out, Wrangler to my homebuilt XJ, to a totally stock early 80's C-10 4x4.

We all had the same amount of fun.....

Back