• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oddly optioned xj's

I almost bought a 96 sport with very little options on it, but it had the 242 and the premium sound system. It must have been special ordered because everything else on it was just what came with the sport package. It was also Moss Green, which I thought was only available on the Countrys.

I also looked at a 98 sport 2wd/5 speed with every available option you could think of on it. It too must have been special ordered. I liked it, it was very quick with the 2wd and the 5 speed but I didn't want a 2wd XJ so I passed. I bet it got pretty good gas mileage. Maybe I should have bought it. :D

falcon556 said:
That's why I asked him for the VIN.
He never replaced any axles and bought it new.
Could it be an export or special contract model?

False alarm!
The guy has no idea what he is talking about.
I took the VIN to the dealer and all he has is a D30 and 8 1/4"
It is not even a 96 like he told me, its a 95.

88XJSport said:
They stopped using all Dana 44 rear axles in usa cherokee's in 90.
There were no XJ D44s available in 1990. There may have been some in 89, but I haven't seen evidence for that. MJs were available with 44s through 92, their last year.

88XJSport said:
They never used a d44 up front, in any year.
There's a rumor that MJ metric tonne models in South America had a D44 front and D60 rear, though I haven't seen proof of this either. That would be some find, though, if it exists!

Mambeu said:
They're spring-under, and their brakes have a height-sensing proportioning valve. Other than that, I think they're the same as XJ D44s.
the proportinong valve simply bolts on. Easily removed.
If you find one grab it, bigger brakes and all you need to do to have it under your XJ is have perches put on it.

I have 2 XJ`s...an `87 Waggy and an `88 Limited.......and both came with identical "Sky Top" power sunroofs,the only 2 I have ever seen anywhere,and the only 2 XJ`s that I end up with.

Mambeu said:
There's a rumor that MJ metric tonne models in South America had a D44 front and D60 rear, though I haven't seen proof of this either. That would be some find, though, if it exists!

I never got a VIN for this, and it has been a long time, so I don't remember who owns it anymore. But the one and only owner of this MJ chimed in to confirm that it did indeed have a Hp 44 front, and a Semi 60 rear, straight from the factory. You can see the big pumpkin of the 60 hangin' under there.

239348923DPETpo_ph.jpg

That is a BADICAL mj!!!!
Except for the gay diff protector.
He needs to cutt the front fender under the bumper out up to the top of the bumper fpr tire clearance, but it looks like he doesnt flex it that much. If there is such a model as this one it is a rare. And worth keeping clean. ..............Then again id rip it up.
YAYAH to the CON!!!

my 98 xj has
2.5 turbo intercooled deisel
5 speed box
same trans case as a wrangler (no center diff)
full guages
and deisel engine station
electric every thing except seats
jeep grizzly rims
overhead console
trip comp
no cruise control (mates deisel has one)

murray from oz said:
my 98 xj has
2.5 turbo intercooled deisel
5 speed box
same trans case as a wrangler (no center diff)
full guages
and deisel engine station
electric every thing except seats
jeep grizzly rims
overhead console
trip comp
no cruise control (mates deisel has one)

The diesel is pretty rare, I didn't think you could get those in the States. How's MPG? What t-case?

Iheartmyheep:

ABS didn't come on the 8.25s at least the earlier ones so that's not too weird. You have a pretty well upgraded Laredo model which had a certain amount of ways you could go with it almost making it a Limited if you optioned it out with all the goodies, maybe not everything but close. I know that with the Grand Cherokee Laredos you can upgrade to leather seats or even power cloth seats.

The overhead counsel is nice, I'd do that in my stripped down 98' Sport, but there isnt that much headroom as it is and I'm 6' 3" so I might not want that. Also I might go with Grand Cherokee leather seats eventually and those take about another inch of headroom when you bolt them to the Cherokee seat brackets.

There sure is a lot of variation with our Jeeps, oh well, at least they kept the AW4 auto tranny 87'+ and the 4.0L and 231 or 242 t-case...you cannot go wrong with that combo. :cheers:

Troy

Big Red said:
The overhead counsel is nice, I'd do that in my stripped down 98' Sport, but there isnt that much headroom as it is and I'm 6' 3" so I might not want that.

I added an OHC to my 88, and i am 6'3 as well, and it doesn't block my headroom at all.

88XJSport said:
I added an OHC to my 88, and i am 6'3 as well, and it doesn't block my headroom at all.

There is a difference between those 2 years, the later years being a little more cramped. This is my 1st 97'+ and I have a 87' and 91' and there is more room in the older ones.

Big Red said:
The diesel is pretty rare, I didn't think you could get those in the States. How's MPG? What t-case?

Iheartmyheep:

ABS didn't come on the 8.25s at least the earlier ones so that's not too weird. You have a pretty well upgraded Laredo model which had a certain amount of ways you could go with it almost making it a Limited if you optioned it out with all the goodies, maybe not everything but close. I know that with the Grand Cherokee Laredos you can upgrade to leather seats or even power cloth seats.

The overhead counsel is nice, I'd do that in my stripped down 98' Sport, but there isnt that much headroom as it is and I'm 6' 3" so I might not want that. Also I might go with Grand Cherokee leather seats eventually and those take about another inch of headroom when you bolt them to the Cherokee seat brackets.

There sure is a lot of variation with our Jeeps, oh well, at least they kept the AW4 auto tranny 87'+ and the 4.0L and 231 or 242 t-case...you cannot go wrong with that combo. :cheers:

Troy

he does not live in usa. so it would be very rare to get a diesle. he lives in western australia.

90xj06 said:
he does not live in usa. so it would be very rare to get a diesle. he lives in western australia.

Now that explains it, thanks. :)
You don't exactly see them driving around the States now do you? If you did, it'd be very rare.

Troy

Back